What would u give a 6yr old with diahhrea and vomit,, ginger ale and water and saltines right anything else??

mommyof9302

Asked by mommyof9302 at 10:32 AM on Apr. 29, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Normally yes, but with Swine flu, id be in the ER right now.
    mommyofAurora

Answer by mommyofAurora at 10:33 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I wouldn't give any of those things.

I would wait until s/he has gone for 2 hours without vomiting and then give her/him a couple ounces of water then wait for 10 minutes. If that stays down then give another couple ounces of water and wait another 10 minutes. If that stays down, give 4oz and wait 20 minutes. If that stays down then another 4 and another 20 minutes. After that hour, if it has all stayed down, I would offer a cup of water for him to sip on. If at any time he vomits again, it starts all over again.

The stomach needs time to rest and anything with carbonation or food is NOT going to allow it to rest. If there has been no more vomit for 6 hours of drinking ONLY WATER, then start offering bland foods...crackers, breads, etc.

Once the vomiting is under control, then start working on bulking up the poop..carbs and starches, water and milk only...no sugary drinks. Sugar makes the diarrhea worse.

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 10:36 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• That's what I would do, and have done in the past...per our pediatrician. It's always worked well for the boys, and I even do it when I have a stomach bug.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 10:37 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I thought swine flu resembled influenza, not a stomach bug?
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 10:40 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• well the flu resembles a stomach bug with the vomiting & diarreah (my dd had both & had the flu)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:44 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Water mostly. If the gingerale does not have ginger, then it's not of any value. You can boil sliced ginger and give your child the ginger water, or mix powdered ginger with warm water.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:07 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I've heard the BRAT diet is good for those ailments. Bananas, rice, applesause, toast.
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 1:16 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Pepto bismol works really well on diarreah and vomiting. It has worked for over 60 years that I know of.
    mptnester

Answer by mptnester at 2:00 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• ginger root tea is probably the best remady for diarreah and vomiting. You can get ginger root in the produce sectgon at your grocery store. Just chop it up and put some of it in a tea ball and make tea out of it. Maybe add a little sweetener to it to make it easier to swallo. A little honey or a bit of sugar to make it easier., and then let the child rest.

garrettd42
    mptnester

Answer by mptnester at 2:09 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I would say take the child to the ER with the swine flu going around to be on the safe side...I mean you dont want to risk it.
    Ad3n_M0mmy01

Answer by Ad3n_M0mmy01 at 6:15 PM on Apr. 29, 2009