Does breast feeding help a babies immune system?

I am worried about the baby catching swine flu and I breast feed.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Apr. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• YES!!
    Peanut_Farley

Answer by Peanut_Farley at 10:38 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Breast feeding specifically helps a babies immune system for the first 6 months. After that it is all about nourishment. (which technically nourishment helps the immune system, so then the answer is yes.)
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 10:38 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Yes, the baby gets your antibodies.
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 10:41 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• It DOES- BUT for those of you who can't or don't breastfeed- not to worry! I could not breastfeed my son, no matter how hard I tried, or what I took- so he was formula fed- he got his FIRST cold EVER about a month ago- he is almost 4. But of COURSE breastfeeding is always best- I just want to encourage those moms who can't make milk.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Of course it helps the immune system. Is it a guarantee against an illness or disease? No.

Just keep up with the usual measures used to help prevent illness...that's about all we can do right now.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 10:41 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• specificially for the swine flu - no b/c no one had antibodies unless you are fighting it right now.

In gerenal, yes your antibodies are passed tot he child,
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:48 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Yes, it offers immunities for as long as you nurse. It's not guaranteed protection against illnesses, but it can help.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:48 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Ditto to krysta622
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:56 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• YES!!! In fact I don't see why Dr.s don't encourage it more.
    FullTimeMOM823

Answer by FullTimeMOM823 at 11:19 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• yes, it can help with their immune system, but that doens't mean for a second that your child won't get sick. I know lots of breastfed babies who got sick ALOT in their first year of life, it's how little ones develop their own immune system
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:39 AM on Apr. 29, 2009