bottle of milk

my son is 2 years old and STILL drinks his milk(but ONLY his milk) out of a bottle. juice, water and other things are drunk out of a cup or sippie. we try to get him to drink milk from a cup or sippie, but he will only take a sip or 2. i know how important milk is for him so i have let it go on-but know that at some point, the baba has to go.

JBT520

Asked by JBT520 at 10:45 AM on Apr. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• the "baba" should've been gone a long time ago, like at 8 or 9 months old... HELLO!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:46 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Take it away. Just throw it away. He will cry about it for a day or two, and then it will be done and over with. He WILL take milk from a sippy or a cup when he realizes you aren't giving in this time and giving him the bottle.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 10:48 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• My daughter would only drink milk out her bottle too, but I decided it was more important to get rid of the bottle. SO, she never really drinks milk anymore, but I still offer it to her with breakfast and just give her cheese and yogurt.

And he might NOT take milk from a sippy, Chloe never would and still hasn't, not even if I add chocolate, she will only take a couple sips.
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 11:04 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Honestly, there is no reason for him to have milk. Water is all he needs to drink. So no milk, no bottle no problem. If you are concerned about getting enough calcium into him, here is great article for you: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/strong_bones.html

Answer by rkoloms at 12:22 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• If I were you, I would let the kid have the bottle. My son had his till HE was ready to give it up. Bottles, especially if they are filled with milk, are a comfort for babies and toddlers. So I wasn't going to take a comfort from him. He took juice and water out of a sippy but wanted his milk in a bottle. He gave his bottle up in December; he was 2.5 years old exactly. His teeth are perfect too. I had my bottle till I was 4 and my teeth are fine. And the AAP even says...

"Many mothers are bottle-feeding their children beyond age 2, even though pediatricians often recommend the bottle be given up by 12 to 18 months, according to a California study of 191 healthy full-term infants.

Researchers found 42 percent of 2- to 3-year-olds were fed about three bottles a day, and 16 percent of 3- to 4-year-olds were given an average of 2.1 bottles a day."
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 5:41 PM on Apr. 29, 2009