Im a first time mom and have NO idea how to potty train.

what should I do?
any advice welcome and thanks in advance!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on Apr. 29, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Well for me i got a potty book bought a toliet sit which i let my child pick it out and i bought a piggy bank which i also took my child to the bathroom with me, everytime i went i would put a couple of pennies in piggy bank then i would give my child pennies to put in the piggy bank after they went potty i would give them more them 25 cents for the BM cause its scares them sometimes and when they have gotten it down i would take the money and let them buy what ever they want cause they earned from learning
    semiwife

Answer by semiwife at 11:00 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• well how old is your little one? i would start by age 2. take him/her to store and pick out their own potty seat. my son likes the royal potty chair that plays music when he potties. I also do a sticker chart for a reward. but i don't do anything else because i don't want him to only potty because he gets treats or anything. start taking him/her to bathroom when you go and make a game out of it. take his/her pants off and let them sit on their potty while you are on yours. it was fairly easy with my son. good luck
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 10:56 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Just keep in mind that EVERY mom was a first time mom and had to get a kid to use the potty.
    Is your child old enough to say potty, does your child show interest, can your child stay dry at nap time? Ask all theses questions first before you even try. And remember, no one ever got to first grade still wearing diapers.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:56 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• children learn best by watching mom and dad. You didn't mention age or gender but I didn't even attempt it until my kids were about 2 yrs old. It was just easier than trying to force them to learn something they were not ready for. By then they are curious and mimick anyway. Have dad show your child if you have a son and if a daughter then you can let your dd watch you. I used a child's potty seat and just let them sit on it whenever they wanted to get used to it. My adult dd has a step stool for her 2 yr old to get up and use the adult toilet. Whatever is easier for you. It will take time but just do this a little at a time. you'll be fine.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:58 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• With my daughter, I introduced her to the potty when she had just turned 2. I didnt force anything on her, it took her a couple months but she pretty much started going on her own. we had let her sit on the potty when she wanted and I would ask if she needed to go. One day she just up and started going.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 11:01 AM on Apr. 29, 2009