When do you move a child into a big boy bed from a crib?

My son is three and still sleeps in his crib. He does not try to get out. When is is appropriate to move them over to a bed?

Janette526

Asked by Janette526 at 11:00 AM on Apr. 29, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• i put my dd in a toddler bed when she was about 15 months old
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:01 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• My daughter is 17 months old and I just switched her to her twin size bed. She is growing up so fast! :(
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 11:10 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• My first son was 1.5 I think when he moved to a toddler bed. Not sure when we will start out youngest.
    MommaM2

Answer by MommaM2 at 11:18 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Really you can do it any time. My first climbed out of his crib the first time at 18 months old. At that point I put him in a toddler bed then switched him to a regular twin bed not long after he turned 2. If you want to switch him then start talking about big boy beds and just really playing up the idea. Get him excited about it an maybe he will ask on his own.
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 11:25 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• My DD was 18 months when we put her into a toddler bed and she wasn't trying to get out we just thought that 2 years old sleeping in a crib was way to old . She does great in her toddler bed.
    baby1love

Answer by baby1love at 11:29 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• My son was 25 mo when I moved him to a toddler bed. I think that if he's 3...it's time to ditch the crib. I think the manufacturer's recommendation on cribs is only to 24 months. Also, I would switch to a toddler bed and not a twin yet, JMO, I think they're safer.
    kkutella

Answer by kkutella at 12:45 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I put my son in a toddler bed when he was a toddler (2)
    EarthMama05

Answer by EarthMama05 at 1:49 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I only moved my son to a big boy bed (a twin, we skipped the toddler bed thing) when he was 2 1/2 and we needed his crib for a new baby. My primary concern was that he was old enough to stay in bed when I told him to - no way was I going to go through the kind of putting a child back in bed 18 times in a row thing you see on Supernanny!!! We put long bed rails on his new bed, and it never even occurred to him that he could or should get out of it without us telling him to.
    Anonymous

• My daughter turned 3 in Dec. and we finally took the front off of the crib and she loves it! She never tried to get out so i didn't rush it! My husband was dead set on her being a big girl and taking the front off. We are getting ready to move her into the queen bed! It is up to you, if they aren't trying to get out, then don't rush it!
    Anonymous

• Both of mine were out of their cribs by 18 months. That's because they learned how to climb out of it all by themselves. I'd say if your child hasn't shown interest in getting out I wouldn't worry about switching him over yet. If you don't mind that he still sleeps in the crib then I don't see a big deal with letting him in it. When he wants to get out he will eventually climb out. haha
    Trajik003

Answer by Trajik003 at 7:55 PM on Apr. 29, 2009