Should I get involved?? If you don't have all the info???

My neighbor has two little girls, they are not bad kids, but she does not teach them, at all, so how will they learn. They run around the neighborhood, eat off the ground and everyone watches them except for the mom, who is too busy doing drugs. HELLO, we didn't have these kids, I am not being mean. My daughter who is a tween said I don't want to watch them, I told her you are not and you can't talk to the neighbor because she is always HIGH. NOW WHAT, I don't know her full name, or the kids, WHAT IS A MOM TO DO????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:07 AM on Apr. 29, 2009 in General Parenting

• go and talk to her, maybe she's having problems in life and has NOBODY to talk to, maybe she's lonely and just needs a friend. There is always a reason for what people do...always. Don't jump on the CPS band wagon and call without knowing. I am not saying become friends with her, but maybe see what's up with her or talk to the school about it and they could help out.
    Peanut_Farley

Answer by Peanut_Farley at 11:10 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• You can call CPS anonymously. You're a neighbor and you've seen the situation yourself. I know it's hard to do, but if no one does it, the only people that suffer is those kids. I wouldn't suggest getting involved personally because these situations can turn violent and she does live next door to you. Good luck. It's such a hard position to be in.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:11 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Call the cops! She is puting those kids in danger they need a safe home and not to be around drugs!
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 11:12 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Simply make an anonymous call to DPS and tell them what you have told us. Remember CPS probably has "enhanced caller ID", so call from a pay phone to make sure your call is completely anonymous, you don't want this woman angry at you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• FORGET ABOUT TALKING TO HER, My neighbor tried that, she don't give a damn. She thinks everything is ok. Last time I tried to talk to her, her daughter almost attacked me, I called the cops on them before. She needs serious help, I can't help her. The sad part is my ex was in Foster care, and was not treated so well, so I wonder what is best for them kids.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I'd recommend calling CPS immediately. Yes, there are some lousy experiences in Foster care but it sounds like they're already in a dangerous situation. How will you feel after something terrible happens to them and you didn't call?
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 12:06 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• HMMM IS SHE NOT MARRIED?? HAVE YOU SEEN HER PARENTS OVER?? SOMETIMES IF YOU GO TO THE SPOUCE OR PARENTS WITH CONCERNS IT CAN HELP. YOU SOUND LIKE YOUR TRULY CONCERNED FOR THE LIL GIRLS. CALLING CPS SOUNDS GOOD BUT, WHAT WILL THAT REALLY DO?? I DUNNO ABOUT THERE BUT, WHERE I LIVE IT TAKES ALOT FOR SOMEONE TO GET THIER KIDS TAKEN AWAY. THE MOTHER NEEDS HELP. THATS A FACT. MAYBE IF YOU COULD TALK TO SOMEONE THAT KNOWS HER AND MAYBE THEY CAN GET THROUGH TO HER. IS SHE DOING ILLIGAL DRUGS?? AROUND THE CHILDREN?? IS THERE A LIGIT REASON FOR THESE DRUGS?? IM JUST TRYING TO FIGURE OUT IF SHE IS LIKE A CRACKHEAD OR IF SHE IS ON THEM FOR A REASON THAT MAYBE JUST GOT OUT OF HAND. I DUNNO. I JUST WONDER IF SHE WANTS TO BE A GOOD MOM OR IF SHE TRULY IS TO FAR GONE. EITHIER WAY IT NEEDS TO BE ADDRESSED. THOSE GIRLS NEED THIER MOTHER AND IF THAT CANT HAPPEN THEN SOMETHING DOES NEED TO BE DONE.
    TANYA_STOKES

Answer by TANYA_STOKES at 10:45 AM on May. 2, 2009