Did I over react at the IEP meeting?

My child’s school has screwed my son over since Sept. They failed to follow the IEP & only provided excuses of why they weren’t doing it. They used a loophole in the wording to avoid having to provide proper services to him. Even though everyone knew what the wording actually meant from the previous year. They have admitted to failing him. I have reached the boiling point & no longer want to listen to them apologize or make excuses & just do what my child needs.

During the process a request was brought up. I understand part of it was something they couldn’t do. However, the lady who started the problems says well we will revisit that at a later date. At that point I went off because that was the same line she fed me at the beginning of the year. No one in the room heard how nasty she was on the phone to me or the comments like wait & see that she made to me. My point is they had a chance to do it their cont'

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:08 AM on Apr. 29, 2009 in General Parenting

• cont' My point is they had a chance to do it their way & it sucked. So now all I am asking is we try & make it right. Some how I am the bitch because I have lost trust in the people who sat by for a whole school year watching my child fail & fall further behind.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:08 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• yea, been there done that. My son is visually impaired. He was supposed to have any and all worksheets blown up. Well one teacher refused to do it, when he asked her to do it, her only response was "I dont' know how to do that" Yea, I was pissed, so I wrote a nice little nasty gram stating that his IEP was federal law and that although I didnt' want to do it, I would bring a lawyer in if neccessary. Needless to say I had an emergency IEP schedualed, and got the job done. That's what I would suggest you do, once it's signed, it's LAW. If they dont' follow it, they are breaking it. Best of luck hun, I know how frustrating it is
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:11 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Write a letter to the board of education in your state. Have you spoke to the principle? Also next year can you enroll him in a different school?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Nope, didn't over-react at all. Schools are supposed to teach --- no excuses. If there's a special plan in place, it should be followed. They wouldn't accept excuses from you if you weren't doing your part of the deal at home, so why should you?

Ugh! And people wonder why I homeschool!
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 11:15 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I hear ya!!

My daughter has several issues and one of them is she is hearing impaired. Not once since school began have they had any one follow up on her through the school system. They are supposed to have the hearing specialist come visit her every so often to check her aids. At her old school she saw the hearing specialist about once a month. Since we transfered to public school, NOT ONCE have they followed through on that part of her IEP! The weird part is, the Vision specialist has seen my DD twice since school began and she doesn't even have a vision problem. The disorder that she has makes her more prone to vision problems but she doesn't have a problem with that. SHE IS DEAF(!) not blind (!)

I dread my next IEP.....

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 11:19 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• no you weren't out of line. Shame on them for failing your son it wasn't your doing. My son's wonderful school has cancelled his review twice. I now have 25 days of school left to get in to see them.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 11:28 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• been there.i have halled off at my daughters iep meeting ended up crying.tell them you are going to go to the superintendent of schools if they dont do what you want.be persistant.i was up at my daughters school everyday last year.i got my point across and they did what i asked.i would love to be a child advocate for kids with ieps.any way for pagirl they have to do the evaluation with in a certain amount of time.its against the law if they dont.anyway dont be afraid to stand up for your child cause you are your childs only advocate....
    raineydays377

Answer by raineydays377 at 12:03 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I would call the Board of Ed in your state. We had the same problem at my son's school and when nothing happened we called the Board of Ed. and got a response and help on the same day.
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 12:59 PM on Apr. 29, 2009