Insurance--when you are moved to part-time and during maternity leave....did anyone's employer make them pay for their insurance due to these reasons????

My Dr. said it may be time for me to move to part-time work and I thought nothing of it until my employer(the office mgr.) said it would have an impact on my insurance. So we called and they said since I won't be full-time I would be responsible for paying for my own insurance during the part-time phase and the maternity leave.........WHAT?? I was floored, has anyone else faced this sceniro??? I can't afford to loose my insurance and I can't afford the insurance during that time period, I think my boss is hopefully going to be kind-hearted and pay, but you never know??!!

Mom2Vivi

Asked by Mom2Vivi at 11:11 AM on Apr. 29, 2009 in Money & Work

• You may have to stay on as full time untill you go on Maternity Leave or if you are unable to work the hours you are currently working your doctor may have to start your leave early. When I was pregnant with my son I was pulled from work and put on "disability" at 5 months, after I had him, it officially switched to Maternity.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 11:20 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Only full-time employees where I work are eligible for insurance. Otherwise, they have to pay for it themselves. Also, we cover workers on Maternity leave as long as they return within 3 months or have a medical excuse for being out longer. It's pretty standard not to pay for insurance for less than full-time employees.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 12:02 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• If you have a nice enough employer they might go ahead and keep paying it. I would. What a crappy thing to do to someone who cannot help what their dr is telling them.
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 1:04 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I guess that I would see it differently if the whole picture were different. You see when I started working here I had health insurance and didn't need insurance provided, but being a small business and in order for her to have health insurance, she has to have another person on the policy, so I agreed to leave my policy to join her. Really, it has been a BIG mistake from the beginning! Now I have someone dictating my life rather than my physician! I am so upset today I could just sit and cry all day! I would think that after nearly 2 years of working at below, way below, average pay for my job, she would have more heart than that???? Or at least look at the long term aspect and see that if she wants me to come back.....she should consider her options!
    Mom2Vivi

Answer by Mom2Vivi at 4:21 PM on Apr. 29, 2009