Are you allowed to feed the strays???

My neighbor down stairs, has a big bowl filled with their left overs, well now I have cats all over the place, possums and everyother creature, crawling in my space, even cat doodoo on my porch. Is this legal??? What is the law with that?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on Apr. 29, 2009 in Pets

• JUST A NOTE: I SPOKE TO THE NIEGHBOR THEIR RESPONSE WAS I LOVE ANIMALS.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Its not really against the law just a pain in the a***. You oculd call animal control and tell them about what your neighbors are doing or just call them and let them know you have stary animals hanging around your place and are a danger to your children. they will come out ASAP and if they found they are being feed they will do something about it!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• It's not illegal to feed them, most people just don't because they don't want them to come back.
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 11:29 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• you should check you state/county/city laws. in a lot of areas, if you feed stray cats, then you can be considered responsible for them. so if they bite someone, you could be held responsible for getting the rabies shot done and having the animal quarantined, the expenses that go along with that and everything. i worked at a vet and saw that happen. it's sad, because if the person feeding them doesn't have the money or doesn't want to take responsibility for them, then they could be euthanized and sent off for rabies testing. and if you don't know how they do it, i'm not telling, it's disgusting.
    MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 12:07 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• yea...I'd be the animal lover weirdo feeding strays while everyone else calls animal control. I know here they put hundreds of animals down a day and its so sad. And you know what the sad part is? Since we live in a military town, alot of these are surrenders! Because well they are pcsing. wtf...what military post doesn't allow pets? excuses...I remember we went to get my dogs yearly shots and a couple broought their cats kittens up there. The staff pleaded with them to try to give them away ..they wouldn't. The staff said they'd probably be put down before the day was over. I wanted to rescue them, but couldn't (renting and already have 2 pets that required 400 dep.)
    anyway...contact your landlord about it.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 2:48 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• some places if you feed them you own them!
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 3:30 PM on Apr. 30, 2009