What would be the best kind of pet for my daughter?

My daughter will be turning one year in August. We would like to get her a pet for her birthday. She LOVES animals and LOVES our three dogs. We live with my parents and two of the dogs are theirs and the other one is mine, but she is very old. I'd like to get her a very young animal, maybe like a kitten or puppy. Something that will grow up with her. We were thinking about getting a puppy German Shepherd or a Boston Terrier. I have owned both before and they are amazing animals. I would love any suggestions!

poptart0325

Asked by poptart0325 at 11:51 AM on Apr. 29, 2009 in Pets

• i cant really give an answer for this question being that we have 25 guinea pigs 12 rabbits 5 dogs one baby goose 1 iguana 1 parakeet umpteen million chickens one bottle baby calf and one sheep my dd raiese on a bottle my dd is 3 and also has a pony and my SO and I both have horses lol so i say if u have the time to commit to something get her what ever she want well really what ever u want to take care of lol
    kelbel05

Answer by kelbel05 at 12:40 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• i want to get a rabbit for my DD when she's older.. something sorta quiet & not slobbery/scratchy.

from what i understand, depending on the breed, or size, or something, a rabbit can last 7-12 years.

i guess that's long enough for a childhood pet.

i don't mind rodents that much either... but i'd get a bird before i get a rat.

i personally have never had a pet before =(
    r.e.l.s.m.o.m.

Answer by r.e.l.s.m.o.m. at 11:55 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I have a pug 2 years old and a 8 year olf Shitzu.. I would vote the best dog to have around kids is a Pug. My grandaughter will maul all over her and nothing . The dog loves it. The dog will run around her and my grandaughter will just laught (13 months old) Since day one our Pug has been my grandaughters best friend. They love eachother. GREAT DOG for KIDS IS A PUG !!!
    JamiesMom08

Answer by JamiesMom08 at 11:57 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• We have guinea pigs, but, she is a bit young for that. I love them though. Easy to care for.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:01 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Rabbits have razor claws and they do scratch. We had a really nice bunny and he let us hold him but rabbits are nuts when you get them out of their cage. Get her a fish! My kids love their fish tanks in their rooms next to their beds. They use it as a night light and go to sleep watching them.
    pattigioeli

Answer by pattigioeli at 12:09 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Well...i think 1 is a bit young for a puppy or kitten. My son is 15 months and we have a older dog and they share the space that is our home, but they don't really play. I would love to get a younger dog, but decided to wait until LO is 2 or 3 and older enough to be gentle (he still gets a little excited about petting animals). But if you do decide to get an animal...here's a great link for dogs and how they act in general with kids: http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/children.htm
    SouthernMama08

Answer by SouthernMama08 at 2:35 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• i like the idea of the fish from pattiqioeli personally i have had my animals before i had my children with the exception of my oldest who is (7) and when we got the 1st dog she was 3 so she was older anyway than your little one we have three cats and 2 dogs and 5 children and 2 more on the way no we are not getting the twins their own pets either!! not for a while anyway lol
    full_house

Answer by full_house at 3:29 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Who will be taking care of the dog and what if your daughter loses interest? What will happen to the dog then? Honestly, it's NEVER a good idea to get a child a pet as a birthday present. It's one thing to teach kids responsibility in having a family pet, but I've seen too many animals dumped in the shelter or even on the side of the road to be even remotely impressed by a gift like this. If you absolutely MUST get a dog to bring your daughter up with, I strongly recommend looking for an older - mature dog around 3 to 4 years old - who's temperament is known and who has proven to be solid with small children. It's a crap shoot when bringing a puppy into the home as to whether or not the dog will tolerate the "abuse" of a little one as the dog matures.
    DiamondTiger

Answer by DiamondTiger at 9:58 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• pattigioeli, everything has claws. that's why there're nail files and nail clippers specifically for pets.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:09 AM on May. 1, 2009

• My husband and I will be taking care of the dog. And I do not believe in dumping dogs out. If I get any kind of animal, I will keep it until the animal's life lets it. I love animals. As of right now, I have three dogs, two birds, fish and a turtle. Before, I used to have 6 dogs, but unfortunately, a few of them passed away. So you can obviously see that I don't just dump animals out when we lose interest. I LOVE animals and I never lose interest in any of them. The only way I would even consider giving an animal up is if it is a danger to someone in my family.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 8:15 AM on May. 1, 2009