is it his personality or is he just being a smarty pants? or is smarty pants a personality trait?

my son is 4.5 years old and having the last word seems to be part of his personality. even in everyday conversation, he seems to always have the last word. he is pretty funny but sometimes it's inapropriate and he comes off as a smarty pants (i honestly can't even tell if he means to or not!). he has something to say about everything! what can i do to help him understand the difference when his behavior prompts disciplinary measures?

nairda

Asked by nairda at 11:52 AM on Apr. 29, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• It could be part of his personality. I have a son who used to be a smatry pants when he was little. He was opinionated and he had a great sense of humor, and he was a bit mouthy at times, but he was all in all a really good kid. Now he is a grown man with a wonderful personality, and he has two children of his own, the oldest one acts just like his dad did when he was little. So I am inclined to believe that it is just part of his personality.
    garrettd42
    mptnester

Answer by mptnester at 1:58 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• My son is a little like that. As long as he isn't just awful and rude, maybe ignore some of it. It might help him stand up for himself as he gets older. I mean, get on to him and inform him that sometimes it is inappropriate, but don't squelch it entirely.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:56 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• My son is the same way, my husband once told him to stop talking back to him, so my son stopped talking to him all together, when he asked why, he said he told him not to, lol. He gets smart with neighbors, everyone, But I don't think he means it like that, it's just the way he talks, he doesn't know he's being rude, and when I try to explain it to him, he doesn't really understand.
    Rachel24517

Answer by Rachel24517 at 12:11 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I have a husband like that!

Answer by rkoloms at 12:24 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• LOL!!. rkoloms that's what I'm afraid of!
    nairda

Answer by nairda at 12:28 PM on Apr. 29, 2009