Has anyone out there ever had a child that they thought were autistic and it turned out that they werent we have a 16 month old that we feel may show a few signs 2 exactly the only things we notice are that he doesnt speak much we know he has said a few words dady,hi,bye bye, kitty etc but mostly he jut makes sounds like his own language like he is trying to talk, and the other sign is sometimes when he gets excited he flaps his arms but that is it?

MoMMyto2971

Asked by MoMMyto2971 at 11:54 AM on Apr. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He sounds normal. By 18 months he should have at least 5 - 10 words, and it sounds like he is right on target. Also, it is normal for boys to be less verbal than girls. As for the flapping arms thing, kids just do funny and strange things sometimes. I really don't think you have anything to worry about from what you have described.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 12:01 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• By 18 months (2 more months away for you), doctors like to see 10 to 20 words. Some perfectly normal kids won't have any and yours already has at least 4.
    Other language "milestones"...
    By 24 months, many kids are starting to put two words together... more milk... though most of the soudns are missing... mo me.
    By 30 months, most are using 4 to 5 word sentences.
    By 36 months, most can have conversations.

As for hand flapping - this is VERY common in many perfectly normal kids.

He sounds like he's doing just fine.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:28 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I am so scared of my son being autistic that I constantly look for signs also. he's 17-1/2 months old and says about 20 regular using words or more - but like 50 that he's tried. my son also has tons of sounds like you are describing but I truly feel that he's just learning how to use his toungue and mouth to make words.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:37 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Is he making eye contact with others? Is he attempting to communicate with you (even with few words)? Can he return a social smile? Play the "Face" game (Give me a Happy face, a sad face, a surprise face) and see how he does. He is still a little young, but you might want to have your pediatrician check him out.
    anne251

Answer by anne251 at 12:40 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• There are better indicators of autism than just delayed speech. From what you've posted, I wouldn't worry about it. My son was both a late talker and sometimes flaps his arms when excited. He isn't autistic. However, if your child doesn't respond to his name, won't make eye contact, or doesn't play with toys appropriately (i.e. does nothing more with a truck than either endlessly line them up or spin the wheels), it would be a greater concern. Go the AAP web site to get more info on autism if your child exhibits more of these symptoms.
    Anonymous

• like anon 1:13 said, there are more indicators than just delayed speech and hand flapping. I used to work with autistic kids and teens and majority of em didnt have any eye contact, acted as if they were deaf when you were talking to them cried for no apparent reason, etc. dont worry yourself to death your son sounds totally normal
    Breezy1988

Answer by Breezy1988 at 2:20 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• If he is not do not worry about it. Your dr will give you stuff to do with your child to help him get back on track... The criteria is 80% of a list of austic tendencies not 2.
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 2:24 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• As a mother with a child that we thought was Autistic, I was told that you can't really diagnose a child until they are older..say 9 or 10 unless they are severly autistic. My daughter was diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrome after 4 years of wondering...she is now 7 and I'm getting a completely different diagnosis. My advice would be not to worry so much at this age..let your child develop at his/her speed and just mention to your pediatrician at routine checks your concerns. If your Dr has concerns he will more than likely refer you to someone.
    mommasangel1999

Answer by mommasangel1999 at 8:25 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I have to disagree. Knowledgeable doctors can now reliably diagnose autism at age 18 months, and NOT just kids who are severe. I work for our county's early intervention program and have two sons on the spectrum (the younger one is now mild at age 4, and was diagnosed at age 15 months).
    There is a BIG difference between saying those words you listed 'once or twice' and using them regularly. If he is not using 5-10 words regularly, I would go ahead and have him evaluated. It won't hurt anything and if there are any concerns, the sooner you address them the better your child's chances of improvement will be.
    You should check out the list of early warning signs at http://www.firstsigns.org/concerns/flags.htm
    Here is a list of appropriate developmental milestones by age:
    http://www.firstsigns.org/healthydev/milestones.htm

Sorry to chime in as a dooms-dayer, but its better safe than sorry. Good luck!
    Norest4mommy

Answer by Norest4mommy at 12:46 AM on May. 3, 2009