How can I deal with my 2 yr olds separation anxiety?

She's never been to a FT daycare before. Her separation anxiety has gotten so bad that she doesn't even want to stay with her grandmother anymore!
What can I do to make it a little easier for her ?

leoni

Asked by leoni at 11:58 AM on Apr. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• what about a picture of you she can keep in her pocket or a stuffed animal you guys would cuddle together. Not sure how much a 2 year old would understand but I know my son has been having a rough time at part time daycare the past 6 weeks because he's been one on one with me or his grandma since birth. he stills crys for a long time at drop off and they assure me that some kids take a little longer to adjust.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:49 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Children are like elastic bands when it comes to separation anxiety. The best thing you can do is to "practice". Leave her in the care of someone else and gradually increase the amount of time that you're away from her. You can even do this at home: have her play in a gated area with you then tell her you're going to do X. Go do something quick in another part of the house then come back. Give her praise for playing on her own/with the person you've left her with. She may cry when you come back but it's only because at this age, it's the only way she knows to express the emotion of having missed you.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 2:38 PM on Apr. 29, 2009