When should she start?

My daughter is a 20 months old and she has show interest in the potty. Is it good to teach her right now?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:06 PM on Apr. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• YEAH the earlier the better she wants to be a big girl applaud that .
    hush84

Answer by hush84 at 12:07 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I think 20 months is a perfect age. My daughter trained toward the end of 19 months... I think it cuts down on a lot of the power struggles that happen after 2...
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 12:15 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• It is so much easier when they are younger! I'd say go for it now. Pull ups don't work though, they use them like a diaper.
    mlregalado

Answer by mlregalado at 12:23 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• It she's interested, get going!
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:29 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Showing interest then yes by all means. My son showed interest at 18 months and was trained by 27 months and my daughter was about the same and at 22 month is almost what I would call fully potty trained.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 12:50 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• There is a saying: you can start when they're two and they'll be trained by three or you can wait till they're three and they'll be trained at three.
    I'm not saying you can't introduce it now but if she's not interested, don't push it.
    I also agree: no pull ups because they're just like a diaper and won't get the idea across.
    She's still pretty young in terms of understanding the signals her body gives her when she needs to go.
    Plus think of what's involved: she has to stop playing (not easy for a toddler to do), find you, find the potty, pull down her pants, sit, use the potty, wipe, wash her hands....that's a lot of steps for a toddler to accomplish.
    When my boys were 21 mos I thought they were ready so we got the potties out but they weren't ready so we waited. Tried again at 24 mos but they wouldn't even sit on them. They're 29 mos now and one is starting to be interested again so this summer I'll break out
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 2:42 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Con'td. the big boy pants and give it a go. Less clothing in summer means less laundry when they have accidents.

Good luck!
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 2:43 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I don't agree with the saying mentioned above.. my daughter trained in a week at 19 months, and her cousin didn't train until 4 and she started at 3. Three isn't the magic age...
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 3:49 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Yeah I have to say I completely don't agree with that either. My children both started about 18 months and were completely trained (no accidents even overnight) by the time they were 2 years old. We didn't "force" them they wanted to train that early and it worked for us.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:08 AM on May. 1, 2009