Do any moms with teen girls feel overwhelmed raising them in today's world?

Hi! I'm Dr. Jennifer Austin Leigh, one of the leading experts on teen girls (and their moms!). I am blogging about moms and how they feel overwhelmed raising their teen daughters in today's world. If you have a story, question or advice to share, I'd love to hear it. I'll anwer everyone here, and use your thoughts on my website. look forward to hearing from you.

BTW I am in the San Fran Area and will be on The View by the Bay May 16th!

drjennforgirls

Asked by drjennforgirls at 12:10 PM on Apr. 29, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• My daughter is now 22 but it was very overwhelming when she was teenager. She brought home a social worker at 16 to ask her if she could move out? The woman said, yes, with or without my support. She was aB student but left school and got her G.E.D. It was tough love when I let her go.I supported her decisions(not financially) Eventually she got her life together and is now living with a great roomate, working with children and in a healthy relationship.
    I think that T.V. and general society do not lean toward respect of adults i.e. Bart Simpson etc. My mom is 70 and works at info desk at a mall and she can't even believe the way teen girls talk and dress and she says they are so busy texting that they literally walk into walls. Fortunately my daughter turned out fine so I would say there is hope for other moms. My advice is not to give up because the girls that are the hardest to love are the ones that need love the most.
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 12:30 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• My problems started when my daughter entered middle shcool at 11 years old. She hung around with a group of girls that were very boy crazy. These girls were allowed to date and my daughter was not. Many of the kids in this group, especailly one girl started having parties with boys. I only allowed my daughyter to attend these parties as long as parents were in the room with them at all times. I later stopped my daugter from attending these parties because I did not like some of the kids that were going, kids were starting to make-out and give oral sex to boys. My daughter started to hang out with a different group of girls (nice girls) in 7th grade. I really feel that wha't on television, lack of parent involvement and lack of teaching good morals to your kids is what's the probem these days. Also my daughter and many other young girls love to shop at Abercormbie and Hollister stores.
    staceynoel

Answer by staceynoel at 12:46 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• staceynoel...cont. If you look on the walls at these stores, you see half naked men all over the place, even in the Abercrombie children store. I feel that sexualization is practically shoved in their faces and it's hard to avoid. So yes, I think raising daughters these days is very difficult.
    staceynoel

Answer by staceynoel at 12:50 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Feeling overwhelmed? I don't know how women of teens in this age group manage to work AND raise their children much less have a life outside of the "teens." I was a teen mom myself and with many of life's challenges and very little support from other moms, I am feeling very isolated and struggling to find my own identity and life outside that of my kids. I am the mom of 3 girls, ages 21, 17, and 16. Other than that I don't know what else to say. Drop me a line if you need to know more. I'm not really sure what direction you are looking to go at this time, so I'm sorry if I'm not more specific. In my community, I find that teens are considered a big pain in the butt and services lacking. If there are any services, they are all costing money and for a family in today's economy, those extra costs don't cut it. It is at this time, I question "then, why do you think the teen pregnancy rates are going up?" hmmmm.
    anngie

Answer by anngie at 8:00 PM on Jul. 26, 2009