How old is too old for a stroller?

Recently I've seen some, seemingly, older children riding in strollers without any obvious need to be doing so. So how long should a child still be pushed in a stroller and when should they be out walking on there own?

psugal

Asked by psugal at 12:26 PM on Apr. 29, 2009 in General Parenting

• We only use a stroller now if we are going on a long walk or for the whole day. I like that she walks most of the time - she gets to run around and burn off some energy! If/when she gets tired, we just carry her (and so we get to burn off calories!). Of course, she's only just 2 so I'm not too worried at this point. She does not have any issues that restrict her mobility so we're planning to have to out of the stroller entirely by the end of the year.
    stephandteah

Answer by stephandteah at 3:43 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I don't think that you get to make that choice for other parents. Sometimes it is best to not have a tired, whiney child. Once they are past naps, they probably don't need a stroller.
    We used a backpack; I doubt we used the stroller ten times.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:29 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I don't remeber whe I got rid of the umbrella stroller, but I think at 5.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:29 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• you should stop using one once you want to stop pushing your child around. personal choice...
    nairda

Answer by nairda at 12:31 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• My son sat in one until kindergarten and only stopped cause ha didn't want anyone to see him. It was easier on him, because we would be out all day , like in a mall and after awhile, his legs would hurt and it was good to have a stroller for him to sit in. And he even slept in it too if he was tired while being out. He will crawl in the buggy at Wal-Mart now( the big basket part) and he is 13. He still has legs that hurt or is sleepy. If it wasn;t so taboo from other people, he would still have me bring a stroller.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:31 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• To rkoloms - So true - sorry if my question came across as judging these parents, I am just looking for opinions as to when people think it is appropriate to still be pushing or not. I ask because we were at a rather large mall who provided strollers with areas to also carry bags and there weren't any left for my almost two year old while much older children were being pushed in them.
    psugal

Answer by psugal at 12:33 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• BTW, he is capable and has walked on his own. But, wouldn't you be happy to be pushed around so you could sleep if someone was willing to? I would.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:35 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Personally we are hoping to be done with the stroller by age 3. We are weaning our 2.5 year old off of needing to be pushed everywhere. We will continue to take our double stroller for him incase he gets tired he can ride with his little sister BUT that will only be when we are gone all day.
    kristinlimon

Answer by kristinlimon at 12:59 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• My son is 3 and I only pack the stoller into the car if we are going to be out and about all day, just incase he gets too tired. Other then that he walks everywhere, and loves it.
    EarthMama05

Answer by EarthMama05 at 1:10 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Our almost 4 year old walks most of the time, but sometimes when we're gone to a place like the zoo or a park of some kind she will use a stroller. We will usually rent one when we get there.

Our son is almost 2 and he still rides in the stroller most of the time on longer trips, like to the mall or shopping somewhere that doesn't have carts.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 1:25 PM on Apr. 29, 2009