Should I get my sons two extra toes Removed?

My son was born with 12 toes. two extra pinky toes and you can't even tell unless I show them to you. My family doesn't want me to get them taken care of and my boyfriends family does. the doctor says that he will walk on them. And that i will have to buy him wide shoes. Just that it will be a big hassle. I'm scared to put him under the knife just cause he will be made fun of. He is 7months old. the doctor will begain to process when he is 1yr. Should I do it .I need advise.

kasiegregty

Asked by kasiegregty at 12:31 PM on Apr. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• well, no one wants there child to have something that they could be made fun of, on the other hand... this is how your son was born, special with extra's. that's a hard one. I guess If I were in your shoes, I would do it though. you have to think how he will feel in the summer, at the beach, wearing sandals, pool parties.. I don't know.. that's hard
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:34 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I wouldn't bother unless you are having trouble buying shoes or a physical problem with his walking because of them. I must say though, his balance must be really good if he is walking!
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 12:35 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• All I can say is this. Kids can be cruel and if they see that your son has extra toes they may make fun of him and its sad, I know but it does happen and you will need to think what this could do to his self esteem in the future.

Good luck and hugs.
    PatriciaofMN

Answer by PatriciaofMN at 12:35 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I would get them removed. It will be easier to do it on a baby than a toddler or older child. If you were born that way and had a large mole on your face your whole life would you think..I wish my parents would have done something about this? I know it is different, but my cousin has something similar and nothing was done..she hates it and won't take her shoes off anywhere..no swimming, no sandals..just a real hang up for her when it could be avoided.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:35 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• If it was me I would get them removed, he's young enough now, it won't be so tramatic, I wouldn't wnat to grow up with extra toes, he'll be so worried about keeping them covered up his whole life, he'll never go swimming, I would def do it now.
    Rachel24517

Answer by Rachel24517 at 12:36 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I agree with maxmom. I would have the "fixed". I know it's scary but....kids are cruel. That's my 2 cents. Good luck
    vicki136

Answer by vicki136 at 12:37 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• If it were my child...I would. Kids these days can be so cruel. Obviously he's not going get made fun of till he's older but kids, especially now, don't care what kind what they say to people. The extra toes are unnecessary and yes surgery is never something anyone wants to jump into but the procedure sounds like it would be easy enough and in the long run I guarentee you he will thank you for it. Might save him some years from being the target of everyone's attention.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:37 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• i think you should. children are so mean and why put him through it? it's kinda too weird and borderline gross so imagine how his girlfriends will react when they see it. my brother in law has a weird toe and he never shows it. i'm an adult and i still crack up when i see it! LOL!! we know it's no big deal, but we're adults over most of our hang ups. everything is more embarrassing when your younger! and what about when he's a little older. he won't want to go to pool parties and all that because he won't want anyone to see his feet.
    nairda

Answer by nairda at 12:38 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I would just because kids are so mean. You don't want him to have low self esteem. For me that would be enough. Its hard to grow up and be made fun of. And they would heal a lot easier since he's not walking yet. Good luck!
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:40 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Maybe I'm weird but I think that's kinda cool. Kids are gonna be cruel yes, but kids are cruel anyway even if you don't have two extra toes. But it is also true that it would be easier on him now if you do the surgery than if you wait. Good luck.
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 1:11 PM on Apr. 29, 2009