Health-wise, is it ever too late to quit smoking to reap the benefits?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:34 PM on Apr. 29, 2009 in Health

• Well, if you smoke for 20 years, you will never be as healthy as you would have been had you never smoked. But no matter how long you've been smoking your body heals in amazing ways when you quit. Did you know that the smoke from cigarettes paralyzes the little cillia in your lungs? The little microscopic fingers that keep the phlegm out of your airways are temporarily paralyzed every time you smoke. That's why your smoker's cough is worst in the morning after you haven't had a cig all night, because your lungs are full of crap that they haven't been able to get out!

If you can find a way to quit that works fo ryou, you should definately do it. You will be healthier, no matter how long you've been smoking.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:39 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• My mom smoked for 25 years. She quit 20 years ago. She has smoking induced asthma but other than that she is healthy. Her doctor said she probably would have had something worse than asthma had she continued. Most in my family smoke people in my family die young. My grandmother is one of 6 sister. She is the second oldest. Her older sister and her did not smoke and the others did. Three of her sisters died in their late 40s early 50s because of smoking induced lung cancer. Her father died from lung cancer at 54 he smoked three packs a day. Many of my cousins smoke three are on oxygen now at 30 years old. Three of my cousins quit smoking last year. They were all very overweight once they quit smoking they took the energy they had from that and started exercising. All are of a healthy weight now. It is never too late to quit. Continuing is not smart and will hurt you.

Anonymous

• It's never too late in my opinion. I smoked for 20 yrs and I have been smoke free for 3 1/2 years now and I have never felt better.
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 1:29 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Nope!

Answer by rkoloms at 1:34 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• No, its never to late. although you may not be as healthy as you would have been had you not smoked, your lungs start to clear the day to stop smoking....on top of that, there are things such as blood pressure and other health related things that start to improve within hours of not smoking/
    MizzNicole

Answer by MizzNicole at 4:12 PM on Apr. 29, 2009