What kind of activity do you have for your kids in your vehicle?

We have a DVD player and 2 tv screens one on each headrest. Is this too much tv? I mean we don't sit in the car 12 hours lol!

Asked by 1boy1girl4me at 7:18 PM on Jun. 20, 2008 in General Parenting

• Thanks ladies for the suggestions. my kids are 2 and 1 and the tv actually is a headache, my oldest wants to stay in the car and watch Dora so we are fighting getting her out. But it does help when we are doing our shopping which is a long day. When we are home she watches an hour then we are outside or in the room playing. so i do feel kinda bad for letting her watch it in the car lol!! but crayons dont work for us, because she will write on my seats and stuff. she is kinda young for the video game stuff I thought. the baby (1yrs) he is ok he could care less if the tv is on or off lol!! thanks again

Answer by 1boy1girl4me at 8:48 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Ummm, we have a CD player, lol. My kids watch enough TV at home. We have no need for it in the car. Maybe for long trips...but we don't drive any further than an hour or 2 and they sleep the whole time.

Answer by ReneeK3 at 7:22 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• For "everyday" errands I keep a bag with a couple coloring books , crayons , a couple barbies and hot wheels type cars. If we will be on a longer trip- like to Granny's (3 hours away) I pack a special bag with a few more time consuming activities like a Gameboy / DS , short books and a few magazines.

As far as the DVD player being a bit much. It depends on the person. My SIL has a van with the dual screens and loves it. I had a portable DVD player and I couldnt stand it. Kids always fought over who got to pick the movie and the "looser" would pout. Too much trouble for me!

Answer by Taerna at 7:33 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• I bought my daughter those crayola color wonder markers w/ coloring book. She is only 1 &1/2 year old and she loves to color and the markers only color on the "color wonder" paper so there is no mess. I guess this will work until she gets car sick one day,huh?

Answer by msp12r at 9:34 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Aqua Doodle.
    It's great, no mess involved at all, and you don't have to keep up with crayons or markers. Get it at target for like $10

Answer by Oliviasmommy131 at 5:51 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• We don't do TVs, DVDs, etc. in our van. We actually talk, sing songs, and play games. We listen to children's CDs for the toddlers and they will sing along. My oldest (8 years old) will usually bring along some of his action figures, a book, or something else he enjoys. Our toddler daughters usually bring their blankies, baby dolls, and maybe their tea cups. They like to play tea for some reason!! :-)

Answer by mommytoadam at 5:26 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• My kids are 14 now. When they were little we talked and played games and looked for things out the window, they loved "quiz" games and "hunt for" and "scenarios" I would come up with that made them "think" about solutions. I treasured the times spent in the car, we had each others undivided attention. They are 14 now and we still have some of of deepest and best communication while driving. We also still play games, like going through the alphabet and naming cities and 20 questions etc. We also keep trivia cards in the car for them to read to me and each other. We do listen to music, but I wouldn't want a DVD player, I really value our drive time.

Answer by Krowla at 8:06 PM on Jun. 23, 2008