i'm really worried

my dd is 9 months, and she doesn't stand up with support. she never has. she isn't even interested in crawling, or rolling. i try to put her in the crawling position, and she won't do it. i try to stand her up, and she won't do it. but she'll jump in her jumperoo like crazy. i've talked with the pedi about it, i talked with her about it when she was 6 months, she said to wait another month, and if she doesn't start then to make another appt. well i went out of town, and when i got back she was 8 months, got sick so i had to make an appt. i mentioned that it's been 2 months and she still isn't standing/ crawling, and she said to wait another month. well it's been a month and she's still not interested in either. i don't know, should i try to get a second opinion if she says to wait another month, should i be worried at all?? anyone else go through this? dh is deployed, i'm already stressed as it is, i don't need anymore stress!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:36 PM on Apr. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Make sure she is getting enough floor time.
    Anonymous

• You can try to get another opinion to ease your mind. Some kids just don't do any of that, they just up and walk or crawl later on. She is jumping in the jumperoo, so, she doesn't have too big a problem.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:40 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• My son didnt start crawling until he was 9 months old, and even then it was army crawling. He is now 14.5 months and still isnt walking. He will walk along furniture all day long and will let go and take 3-4 steps, but nothing else. My ped said that crawling isnt really a milestone anymore, because so many kids skip it and go straight to walking. I am sure that she is fine, all kids will do it in their own time. Its good that she is in the jumperoo because it will build leg strength. If your doc isnt worried, then I wouldnt be.
    NAT24ROXY24

Answer by NAT24ROXY24 at 12:40 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I have a niece who didn't crawl until she was 10 months. Didn't walk until 16 months, didn't sit up until almost 8 months. It wasn't that she didn't have the capability, she was just a lazy baby.

Sounds like that's what's going on with your daughter to me. She has the capability or she wouldn't be jumping in her jumparoo. Maybe it's just that standing and stuff isn't fun for her until it's in the jumparoo.

Give her more floor time and encourage development every time you see the opportunity. I don't think it sounds serious, but it wouldn't hurt to get a second opinion either.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:43 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Relax! its ok... some children just dont do it... my BFF middle child didnt walk untill she was well over a year ( I believe almost 2) she felt like there was no need to... she would scoot around on her butt it was the funniest thing ever but myy bff was freaking out thinking something was wrong but one day she just started walking and everything else.
    kflwrgrl

Answer by kflwrgrl at 12:43 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• My son did not crawl until he was well into 9 mos old. And then he didn't walk till he was 15 mos old. He was just content to sit and play. I say don't worry. All kids are different.
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 1:08 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I think she's probably still in normal range. I would avoid the Jumperoo, though... those don't encourage muscle development the way good, old-fashioned floor time does.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 1:15 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• My second child walked after he turned 1 year old and worried me. My 3rd finally got his front teeth and he's almost 13 months. That worried me as well. Some babies are different and are not ready for certain things. My 3rd was running at 10 months! So was my 1st!! They are all different.
    environmentalpa

Answer by environmentalpa at 1:41 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• All babies develop at their own rate yes. However, I am a worry wart and to be honest if I were you I would be a bit worried. I am speaking from expereince. I have a 10 month old (9 months adjusted) He has been sitting unsupported since 6.5 months and rolling at 5 months and bearing weight on his legs since about 4 months. At his 9 month check up, I mentioned I was conceanred because he was not crawling, or getting into a sitting position on his own or holding his own bottle. My ped suggested he get evalauted by early intervention. He was evalauted and indeed accepted for gross motor. He has been receiving therapy for a week now. Some kids just need an extra push and a ton of tummy time, (which we rarely did) he was always in the bouncer or the baby einstein. Make sure your baby is on the floor any chance you get, and I recomend you call early intervention just because she might need a bit of extra help moving along.
    Scoobersmom

Answer by Scoobersmom at 2:02 PM on Apr. 29, 2009