my 11 month old and earrings and hats

Hi my 11 month old daughter has started to pull her earrings out, if I leave them out will they close? how do I get her to leave them alone? Also I try to get her to wear hats because I want to have her head protected from the sun but she wont leave them on her head, How can I have her wear them? I know that I could just put the sun block on her head to and have Even done that. But the sun block is a mess in her hair....

2008_MOMMy

Asked by 2008_MOMMy at 12:37 PM on Apr. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have an 11 month old also, she doesnt pull at her earings, but she doesn always try and take her hat off and her sun glasses. I just tell her NO when i see her doing it, and then i do the whole 1,2,3 thing, and i will say 1...leave it alone, 2 leave them alone, if i get to 3 i will smack your fingers, and she normally leaves them alone, if not i will say 3 smack her finger (just hard enough so she knows i mean business) and then i will put them back on and then let her know why she has to leave them on. I know that she may not understand me, but i want her to know why i am making a big fuss over it.
    babymaddy

Answer by babymaddy at 12:46 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• You just missed a killer debate on babies and earrings in the general parenting questions the other day... just kidding, it was completely out of hand. They may close up, but if she's pulling at them I would take them out, you don't her to rip her ears. The hat thing in my experience comes and goes. My first daughter started loving to wear hats (and leave them on) around 12 or 13 months. Occasionally I could get the kind with the strap (that snaps under the chin) to stay on her for an hour at a time...
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 1:08 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• If she's had them a while, they probalby won't close up. I never wear earrings and I still have my holes. Every now and then I just put a pair in for a few minutes to make sure the hole is OK. Leave them out for a few days then try again. It beats her pulling them out.

I wouldn't worry about the hat. My dd is fair skinned and we live in FL. She refuses to wear hats and has not had a sun burned head yet.
    Anonymous

• Sounds like you have a rebelious little one. Get ready Mom when it starts this early, it only intensifies as they get older. Just don't forget YOU ARE THE MOM!. There are on the market earrings that have backs that screw on. That will nip the earring issue in the bud. The hat issue, make it fun! Maybe if you sported a hat your daughter will too. Decorate them in fun ways with flowers, feathers and bells. She is pushing all your right buttons, don't show anger or frustration because that is what she wants, attention.
    JohnWLennon

Answer by JohnWLennon at 1:14 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I don't think pulling off a hat is necessarily trying to push your buttons (or pulling at earrings, either). She's at the age where she's curious and wants to understand things. She feels the hat, feels the earrings, and wants to see them! I'm not convinced that it's a discipline issue at this point.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 1:20 PM on Apr. 29, 2009