Anybody else have to quit smoking

thanks to the higher taxes? I know, it means I'm more healthy, right? *giant cult smile* I am the crankiest person in the world right now. Nicotine withdrawl is incredibly painful, both physically and mentally, even with the nicotine patch it still is unpleasant.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:38 PM on Apr. 29, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Im trying.. but I always find myself "oh just one more pack, take my freaking 5 dollars". grr everytime I quit, the migraines and irritability suck me back in for "just one more cig". I swear, I never had a problem quitting something. Ill be honest- i smoked pot all day everyday for 4 years straight before having kids.. I quit cold turkey like it was nothing. This, I swear! I hate it.

Im about to join a support group, seriously.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 12:40 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• What exactly is painful about it, because I want my husband to quit and he doesn't seem ready to. Maybe if I understand the "withdrawl" better, I'll have more sympathy. Until then, I think it's a digusting habit and it hurts more than just the person who is puffing on the cancer sticks.
    LadyChamp

Answer by LadyChamp at 12:40 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• It does get easier. The only time I smoke now is when I drink. I stopped smoking regularly 3 years ago. I got pregnant with my son in January 2008 and I have only smoked once since then. Hang in there, the first few weeks are the toughest.
    Anonymous

• LC- the only pain I know about is when I have tried to quit, ill get terrible headaches.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 12:41 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• The DH and I have always said that once it hit over $5/pack we were gonna stop. And we've been doing great! However, we do buy a pack on the weekends when we go out for our weekly date. But, other than that, no smoking at all during the week. I does get hard for me from time to time, but, I just think to myself, if I could do it during both of my pregnancies, then I can do it now. I actually have so much more energy and I can breathe easier now. Good Luck!
    Anonymous

• Really? So it's like trying to get over caffeine huh? OMG the headaches when I stopped drinking coffee.

How long do the headaches last? Cause after a bout 3-4 days without caffeine my headache went away....but then again I was taking Motrin for my headaches.
    LadyChamp

Answer by LadyChamp at 12:42 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I'm sure the symptoms vary from person to person, but I get shaky, migraines, very irritable, tired, insomnia (strange combo huh) and general achyness. I'm just sooo zapped of energy that I'm going to get some energy pills at the store, that's how exhausted I am.

http://www.quitguide.com/nicotine-withdrawal.html

Anonymous

• I'm going on 7 mos. May 7th. I used Chantix...it really did help with the nicotine cravings. The 1st 2 wks. to month are the hardest. It was one of the most difficult things I've done! And, I still get cravings now and again...to which I'm told those will last forever. Nasty chit..lol! I have to admit...I feel so much better these days....now for the weight...which is not a myth!
    Loryl

Answer by Loryl at 12:47 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Ladychamp:
    It's a lot of things. It is afterall an addiction. There are mood swings, headaches, and just an overall icky period. It is extremely difficult and I believe no one should be forced into quitting, as the chances of starting back up again will be greater if someone isn't ready yet. I quit smoking over 2 yrs ago and let me tell you, it's STILL hard!!!! I haven't lit up once, but the urge is still there. It's crazy. The mood swings subside, as do the headaches, but it's more than just tossing out your packs. It is truly hard work. Know this though, I don't have the link right now, but I studied in school how one of THE hardest addictions to break was smoking, yes smoking!!!!! I believe the only other one harder to break was heroin. So give dh a break, and find ways to help him quit, not just force him to! lol
    Anonymous

• When i quit smoking for my second pregnancy I probably had a headache for a little less than a week.. the irritability continued on for a while. lol that couldve been from being hormonal from the pregnancy though.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 12:48 PM on Apr. 29, 2009