What is PDD-NOS and how does it differ from autism (if at all)?

I have been reading lots of posts here where parents alternately describe their child as autistic, and as having PDD-NOS. Same thing in some literature I'm reading on the vaccine/autism controversy. Just wondered if some parents know more about what the different terms being thrown around really mean?

jmcgladr

Asked by jmcgladr at 12:39 PM on Apr. 29, 2009 in Kids' Health

• PDD is pervasive developmental disorder, it is a form of autism.. there are several types of autism, they range from mild to severe. NOS means, not otherwise specific, I think... meaning a child fits some of the qualifications for the autistic diagnosis but they really dont fit in any of the other catagories. Please correct me if I am wrong, this is my understanding
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 1:31 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• midnightmoma, you've pretty much put it in a nutshell. That's the basics behind it, yes.

As with anything else, if you've met one PDD-NOS kid, you've met ONE PDD-NOS kid.

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:18 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Oh, and PDD-NOS is (for all intents and purposes) on the high end of the autism spectrum. "High Functioning Autism"
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:42 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• yup yup agreed. I my son was pddnos at a young age. Now at 9 he was retested and he has aspergers. which is another form of autism as well..These are high functioning. They understand most whats going on and can communicate. Thank you for educating yourself :)
    leeleesboys

Answer by leeleesboys at 4:38 PM on May. 1, 2009

• Thank you all for the information. It seems we are learning new things everyday about PPD-NOS, Autism, Asperger's and all the disorders on the autism spectrum, as evidenced by all the different categories there are now. Hopefully, one day it will become more clear cut and experts will more fully understand the environmental and genetic factors involved in all of these variations of the disorder. Maybe there will even be a cure of sorts someday!
    jmcgladr

Answer by jmcgladr at 5:24 PM on May. 1, 2009