My 1 year old (just turned 1) still isn't crawling or walking, what should I do?

Does this seem normal? My doc says everything is fine and if no progress is made by her 15 month check up then we will check her out. So I am freaked. My son crawled at 8-9 months and walked at 14 months. She just seems content to sit and play. I put toys out of reach and she will just roll over and play with her feet. It seems I can't find something to motivate her enough to move. Any suggestions on ways to get her interested in crawling or techniques you have used on your child?

shanny35

Asked by shanny35 at 12:58 PM on Apr. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• if the pediatrician isn't worried just yet...don't panic.

is she standing up at all on her own? while holding onto something? if she is, you can get one of those push toys to help motivate her to walk...if she skips crawling, that's okay too. good luck.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 1:02 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• maybe if you have a coffee table put something on it that she wants and maybe she will pull up to get it make sure you put if where she can't reach it but it is okay. don't push her she will do it when she is ready
    tiffanyec21

Answer by tiffanyec21 at 1:03 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• My oldest never did crawl and didn't start walking until right after she turned 1. Since your doctor says she's fine, focus on being happy that you don't have to chase him/her around to keep them out of trouble. When your baby does decide she./he is ready to walk, watch out, she'll likely be hell on wheels and into everything at once making up for lost time. Mine did.
    Anonymous

• omg, do we have the same daughter?? my dd is only 9 months though, i just posted about it, how she doesn't want to do anything but just sit there and play, or jump in her jumperoo. standing, crawling or walking isn't even in consideration, and the doc says to wait a month...she's always on the floor, so floor time isn't a problem, she'd just sit there and play, and if she happens to throw a toy out of reach, well her feet are right there to play with, or she'll just look at her brother and expect him to get it for her (he's 25 months). sometimes he does, sometimes he doesn't. if not, she just sits there. ugh, it's aggrivating and even more aggrivating that i'm worried about it, with the stress i'm already in.
    Anonymous

• Some babies never crawl and just start walking. Some kids don't walk until they're 16 months old... If you really want to get her to at least try to move to get something, put something she's not allowed to have slightly out of her reach. I know, it's pretty mean... but I've never seen my daughter try so hard to crawl as when she can see a piece of paper a few feet away from her! (She hasn't quite figured it out yet, though).
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 1:12 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• While your pediatrician isn't concerned, I would have her evaluated through Early Intervention just to be sure. In the mean time, try putting her in the position to crawl and put a toy out of reach to see if that'll motivate her. You can also help her stand off and on throughout the day.
    Does she have a regular opportunity to play with other children her age? If not, try finding a playgroup in your area (many Early Intervention groups have them and even if there is no need for services, she can join as a community child). Seeing other children crawling/standing/walking may help her as well.
    Hang in there!
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 2:35 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• She is in daycare, I put her in the crawling position all the time and she will stay in that position for stretches of time, then flop. She also has a means of getting to things by scooting and rolling. She is just a difficult child;)
    shanny35

Answer by shanny35 at 2:42 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• My twin girls (born full term) didn't walk until they were 20 MONTHS OLD. Honestly. There was nothing wrong with them - they were just happy to sit there. At 1, they were still army-crawling on their bellies. My son had crawled at 6 months and walked at 10 months, so I was freaked out too. But they walked when they were ready. And when they did walk, they were strong enough to be darn good at it - I didn't have to run after them and catch them before they cracked their head on table edges and such like I did with my son.
    mem33

Answer by mem33 at 4:14 PM on Apr. 29, 2009