How can I get my 5 year old boy to be more social?

My 5 year old boy started school last year. Since he was a baby He was very quiet never cried unless he felt sick, he was a dream baby. But Now that he has started school I'm concerned, when he started school he was happy, but after a few months I noticed he was more quiet, he wanted nothing to do with the family, always playing by himself, cried for just about anything, always looked sad and wasn't that enthusiastic about going to school anymore, he is not the type of kid that fights or argues. I always asked him how school was and he always said it was ok. after I moved him to another school he told me that at the other school the kids used to pick on them and hurt him all the time, I went back and question the teacher and she had nothing to say. I don't know what to do to make him more social, and help him make friends. it breaks my heart to see him by himself at the playground. Please any advice will help!!

Winter81

Asked by Winter81 at 1:00 PM on Apr. 29, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I was like that too, but you can't push it and most likely he will grow out of his shyness. Find out if he has a friend in school and try to set up some play-dates.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 1:04 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• What concerns me isn't that he's not social, it's that he says he's being bullied. That is NEVER okay. Get him some sessions with a counselor, even if it's just the school guidance counselor. Your son doesn't have to be the most popular kid at school, but he does need to feel safe at school if he is going to learn. Also, there could be some underlying problem, especially if he is also withdrawing from family. I would take this problem very seriously and don't stop until you've gotten him some coping strategies, and he can be comfortable and safe at school.
    Jodie118

Answer by Jodie118 at 2:52 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• poor little man. It must break your heart. Maybe try some sports outside of school. like soccer for example. ayso is the soccer org. that my daughter plays on. she's been since she was 4yrs old. she's now going on 8 in May. I also know that the Karate school here would help but that can be costly and not everyone has a karate school close by. good luck mom.
    momof2maygirls

Answer by momof2maygirls at 8:00 AM on Apr. 30, 2009