Why not?

Hello good morning to everyone!
I'm 22 wks preggo and I tend to sleep on my side but when I wake up I'm usally on my back. Why isn't ok to sleep on my back, why is it bad for the baby? I don't know why and I'm starting to get concerned. Any idea?I don't want to hurt my baby, but I can't help it, and when I wake up I fix myself to one side or the other. Thanks!! =0(

jcampos

Asked by jcampos at 1:24 PM on Apr. 29, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It's not that it will hurt necessarily, but, there is a nerve along your back the baby could end up laying on and it might cause a little less flow in the stuff that goes to baby.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:29 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• If you are flat on your back, the weight of the foetus presses on a major artery and weakens blood flow and therefore oxygen to you and your baby.

It doesn't take much to not be flat on your back, a small pillow under the small of your back and bottom where you only lean sideways (it is not under your body completely, more to the side, so that your belly shifts just a little to the side).

sauterelledesil

Answer by sauterelledesil at 1:30 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I never knew it was bad to sleep on your back while pregnant. Learn something everyday.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 1:40 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I don't think it is something you need to worry about in relation to sleeping, just don't try to exercise in that position. Getting your heart rate up and reducing baby's access to blood flow at the same time is a bad combo. Get your sleep!
    Anonymous

• Lying on your side makes your heart's job easier because it keeps the baby's weight from applying pressure to the large vein (called the inferior vena cava) that carries blood back to the heart from your feet and legs.Its recommended that pregnant women sleep on the left side. Because your liver is on the right side of your abdomen, lying on your left side helps keep the uterus off that large organ. Sleeping on the left side also improves circulation and allows for the best blood flow to the fetus, uterus, and kidneys. Lying on either side should do the trick and help take some pressure off your back.don't drive yourself crazy worrying that you might roll over onto your back during the night. Shifting positions is a natural part of sleeping and its impossible to control it. If you do shift onto your back and the baby's weight presses on your inferior vena cava, the discomfort will probably make you move again.
    polkamama

Answer by polkamama at 2:07 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Try to put pillow behind your back and keep your knees bend so even if you turn on your back you wont be flat.
    polkamama

Answer by polkamama at 2:08 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• damn, you can't sleep on your stomach or your back, what is the point in sleeping and it you wake up on your back,i say it should be ok. my son has me sleeping on the side of my stomach, becasue thatis the most comfortable spot and he always is there touching the bed with my stomach, like he is layingbeside me.
    sherlockhlm

Answer by sherlockhlm at 3:17 PM on Apr. 29, 2009