My son was born at 33wks 1 year now and hes only 14lbs is that normal?

calebmom325

Asked by calebmom325 at 1:52 PM on Apr. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• what did he weight at birht? they are supposed to triple weight by the first birthday.
    That is very tiny though but he was a premie so of course he isn't going to be the same size as the "normal"
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 1:53 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• If he weighed say 4-5 lbs at birth that would be a totally appropriate weight for him. As long as he is otherwise healthy. For the average child that is malnourished. In fact when our grandson was 11 months he was removed from his parents by CPS. He weighed 14.2 lbs. It is all very individual.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:00 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• My youngest was 8lbs at birth and only 17.5lbs at one year. He didn't triple his weight. His doctor wasn't worried.
    He is probably fine if the doctor isn't worried you should either.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 2:03 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• check on http://www.medcalc.com/growth/, put in you original due date and his weight, and it will give you his weight percentile, or check his weight-for-stature. If any of it is worrisome, check with doctor about something like pediasure. My daughter was only 18lbs at 16months, which was due to cystic fibrosis, (she was 3lbs below the lowest she should weigh) but she started pediasure instead of milk and has gained 10lbs in the last year and has reached the 50th percentile in weight.
    vintageGlamurrr

Answer by vintageGlamurrr at 2:21 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• What does the pediatrician say? If he/she isn't concerned I don't think you need to be. Just continue to offer him healthy food choices and if directed to do so, beef up the fat content of his diet.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 2:31 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• My son was 6lb 6oz and weighed 17 or 16 for his 1st birthday, and his dr said he is completly healthy
    Ad3n_M0mmy01

Answer by Ad3n_M0mmy01 at 6:42 PM on Apr. 29, 2009