My baby is 4 weeks old and will not go to sleep on his own (he must fall asleep before putting him to bed). Any advice on what I can do to help him go to sleep in his crib?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:59 PM on Apr. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• At 4 weeks, you need to help put him to sleep. He'll be able to START learning to self-soothe around 4 months with a good routine, and will probably be able to master this around 6 months. But at 4 weeks he needs your help going to sleep. As for the sleeping in the crib part, I would try swaddling him tightly with one of those Swaddle Me blankets (with velcro) from Babies R Us. My daughters both did well with those... but I still had to hold them and either nurse them or rock/bounce them to sleep at this age (my oldest actually had to have us gently close her eyelids for her!) You can't spoil a baby under 4 months.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:07 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I think you should focus on that a little more around 4 months 4 weeks is pretty soon to expect great sleep habits but starting now won't hurt anything. I put a red light in my daughters room and a fan she couldn't sleep without the red light till she was two.
    mizsaxton

Answer by mizsaxton at 2:07 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I had a little one that was the same way. The first thing is make sure there is no ear infectiongs because when they lay down it hurts more. Then if all is ok, diaper changed, fed, etc. I got a lambs rug and the little one went right to sleep when I put on some soft music. Some people use the water sounds of a mothers stomache. God Be With You
    GrandmaMom183

Answer by GrandmaMom183 at 2:11 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I would definitely recommend the swaddle blanket. My daughter is 6 weeks and this helps her not only get to sleep but also helps her stay asleep longer.
    sillyt

Answer by sillyt at 2:16 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• In addition to the Swaddle Me blanket, there's also this slightly more expensive one available on-line, which I think worked even better. Check out the video:
    http://www.miracleblanket.com/index.htm
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:18 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• your baby is still really young and still needs the comforting like he was inside your womb i wouldnt worry about rushing it, good bonding time
    Breezy1988

Answer by Breezy1988 at 2:23 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• like everyone else has said, 4 weeks is a little early to worry about this. If you really want to start this early, then try changing his diaper, feeding him, and then right before he drifts of try putting him in his crib. make sure when you lower him you don't "startle" him by moving to fast. After reading about that, And being aware of it, my son started being able to settle himeslf in the crib if I didn't startle him when I was putting him down. This was around 4-6 weeks I think. I started trying it with naps first. when you set him in his crib, keep your hands on him for a few seconds...you should feel his body relax. Then slowly back out of the room. Hope this helps!
    cbowman82

Answer by cbowman82 at 2:36 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I'm a big fan of the swaddling! my babies are almost 4 months and they sleep soooo well! We had quit shortly after we brought them home because they got out of the blanket, but then my mom got us the swaddlers by kiddopotamus (sp?) and we wrap them up every night. They are now sleeping from around 9:30- 4:30. 7 hours isn't bad to me! Then I wrap them back up after they eat at 4:30 and we go back to bed until I have to get up for work! I put them in a onesie and that and they are nice and snug. I like the fleece ones because they don't work their way out of it very easily. I check the AAP website to see how long it's okay to swaddle and they say it's okay until they start working their way out. But, as with everyone else, don't expect him to self soothe at 4 weeks. It's a learned thing!
    mommystiebler

Answer by mommystiebler at 2:47 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• WHAT I DID WITH MY CHILDREN MIGHT HELP, I DINT LET THEM TAKE ANY LATE NAPS SO WHEN IS TIME FOR BED THEY ARE REALLY TIRED GIVE THEM A BATH BEFORE BEDTIME SO THEY ARE RELAXED, I LAY THEM DOWN IN THE CRIB WITH THEIR BOTTLE AND A SOFT BLANKET AND TURN THE LIGHTS DOWN MAKE SURE IS QUIET IN THE ROOM AND IT WORKED WELL FOR ME I DID THIS LIKE A ROUTINE AT THE SAME TIME EACH DAY
    ORTIZ856

Answer by ORTIZ856 at 3:02 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• That baby is too young to understand. He needs the comfort of you, for the past 9 months he was inside you and all he knows are the sounds of your womb. He's still adjusting to the outside world, give him time. Enjoy sleeping with him and cuddling.
    KareemsMami

Answer by KareemsMami at 3:37 PM on Apr. 29, 2009