Should or shouldn't go

Today is my son's bday. His dad is working 2 1/2 hrs away. My husband really feels bad not being able to see him on his bday. I also have a 17mo old. Day care is having a party for my son at 4:30 today. Follow so far? Question is what would be better for the kids? Should I take them on the car ride to see their dad & spend the night in the motel,which means we will be there around 8:00pm, or should we just go home & have a nice dinner. What's your opinion?

chaster

Asked by chaster at 1:59 PM on Apr. 29, 2009 in General Parenting

• Go spend it with dad. It'd be a great suprise!
    Anonymous

• I think you should stay home, and make a big deal of celebrating when Dad gets home. If you won't even get there until 8:00, your little ones will be too tired to enjoy themselves.
    Jodie118

Answer by Jodie118 at 2:02 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Will your son care if you celebrate his birthday as a family today or maybe this weekend? If he is happy to wait for the weekend, plan something special. I'll bet he would rather wait for a special celebration with his dad this weekend, than traveling in a car for 2 1/2 hours with a 17 month old. Staying in a motel might be fun for him....or not.

timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 2:03 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Definitely spend it with dad.... short and sweet is better than not at all.... and dad can run out to the grocery store and pick up some balloons and cake to have in the room when they get there.....
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 2:06 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• go see dad, even though they'll be tired they'll be excited to see their dad. 2 1/2 hours really isnt that long, take some coloring books, matchbox cars just little stuff and they should be fine
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 2:07 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I vote dad! :) they will love staying in a hotel! :)
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 2:11 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I would celebrate wjen kids are well rested ain in good mood so they can also enjoy dad's company. Sleep derpived and cranky children don't make for good times for celebrations. I would call daddy and let him be in the fun over the phone but save the big guns for when the family is together.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 2:11 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Your kids are kind of young. Do you think they would be okay at that time of night after a long drive? If not it may just make for a miserable night for all of you. My kids would have been cranky and miserable or wired and unable to sleep that night if I did something like that at that age. I would probably wait until dad was home and have another party with just the family. What kid wouldn't love to get TWO birthday parties? lol
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 2:14 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• If you can afford to go spend it with dad, I think that would be a great surprise for not only the kids but him as well
    hautemama83

Answer by hautemama83 at 2:30 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Hotels are fun for kids, I say to see dad, then everyone wins.
    coutterhill

Answer by coutterhill at 2:31 PM on Apr. 29, 2009