Americans Changing Religions

I thought this was an interesting article and one worth reading. What do you think about this?
The article claims that most who change religions do so in their teens or twenties, do you agree with this claim?
Have you changed your religion, weather it be a different denomination or a different religion all together? Was it an easy transition for you?

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/04/27/changing.religion.study/

jennijune_21

Asked by jennijune_21 at 2:10 PM on Apr. 29, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• That seems to be the rebellious age range so I can see it happening. I think many go back to where they came from tho or something very similar.

As for me, yes I changed religions/spiritual paths but I was 34 yrs old when I did it. Went from christianity to paganism so definately different. Not hard but not easy. The hard stuff wasnt changing how I lived my life or whatnot but dealing with family who would be heartbroken and upset by the change and their belief that the devil made me do it,etc.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 2:29 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• That was kind of interesting and was pretty much in line with what I've experienced. I moved away from my family's religion in my teens and tried out several over several years before I found a place where I was comfortable. The transition wasn't difficult but it was time consuming and caused other people to have lots of questions. If my family had not been supportive I think it would have been much more difficult though.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 2:29 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I wouldn't say I changed religions so much as I just discovered what I've always been.

I labeled myself as Christian most of my life because that's what everyone else was & it was all that I knew, but I never really believed it. I started attending church regularly (several denominations) as a teen, but I still didn't believe it. It was more or less a social gathering to me.

Religion was never an issue in my life until I started homeschooling. Then it became a MAJOR focal point when meeting new people. It was another homeschooling mom - a Chrisitan - who led me to discover that I have been Buddhist all along. I just didn't know it. Believe me...lol... that wasn't her intention....but it worked out that way anyways.

I was a little nervous bringing it up with my husband... but he's completely supportive. He's encouraged me on several occasions to take refuge, but I still haven't. One of these days, maybe.

Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 2:37 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I just dropped "religion" altogether in my 20s after experimenting with a few. It was a natural transition for me and I now feel at a comfortable place with my beliefs.
    dawpea

Answer by dawpea at 2:38 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Makes sense but I see it more as a new adult "finding" their religion not changing it because as a child you just go along with whatever your parents tell you (and many times have no choice at all) so when they are finally away from the control of their parents they are free to explore and find what works for them.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:50 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I read about this. It makes since to me. We had some kids are our school go to Catholic schools their entire life and by the time they left high school they converted. I left my religion in grade school and discovered it in my 20s again. I went back to the Catholic church because the others ones just did not make sense to me but I did learn and even attend other churches.
    livingangle

Answer by livingangle at 2:56 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I grew up in a Baptist church and found Paganism to be more suited to my heart. The beliefs have always been in me. The difficulty are some family members who either try to use guilt or scare tactics to make me go back to Christianity.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 3:13 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I was raised what I call "Christian Lite." That means we all said we were Christian and went to church every Christian holiday, but not much after that. My parents still are the same way. In my 20's I tried out other things, but always felt a conviction that what I was doing was wrong. God just wouldn't let go of me. By the end of my 20s I was a firm believer in Christ and have spent my 30s deepening my relationship. The funny thing is this, all of my siblings have had similar experiences and all of us are much stronger Christians than my parents.
    AngelDawn7

Answer by AngelDawn7 at 3:16 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I have lived my whole life without religion.  It wasn't until I was in my 30's that I even felt a need to have a label.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 3:30 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I never had a religion, so there was nothing for me to change. I realized I didn't believe in god, or any mythical fairy tale, about the time I was 8 or 9 years old, although I didn't know what to call it. I always just told people I didn't have a religion when they asked. It wasn't until recently, like the last five years, that I started calling myself what I am, Atheist.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 3:33 PM on Apr. 29, 2009