Should I leave my 19 month old to go on vacation alone with my husband?

I am a stay-at-home mom, so my son (19 months) is not used to being left with a sitter, especially overnight. His usual sitter, my sister, whom he loves, is moving out of state, and won't be available to watch him. So, I would be leaving him with another family member who he less familiar with. I'm afraid that he'll think I deserted him (he's too young to understand "mommy will be back in a week"), and that when I return, things won't be the same! He is the sweetest most loveable child, and I don't want to hurt him. Should I wait until next year when he's older? I am so torn.

fallenleaves

Asked by fallenleaves at 2:12 PM on Apr. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If you have family you can trust then why not? It wont be any easier to leave him in a year and if your trip is planned then why not go? He will miss you and he will ask about you but he will be fine. He may cry for you but he will stop and if he is in good hands they will handle it. Honestly at his age it will take him about 2 days to forget your gone and then when he see's you again the excitement will have you both bursting at the seams. Good and enjoy your hubby if you have someone you can trust. Get him used to the family member now, have him spend more time with them before you go. If they don't mind have them come to your house so its not all awkward for him all the time or bring him to your house at some point to show him everything is still the same.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 2:16 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• spend time with your husband. just have the family member you are going to be leaving him with start spending more time with him before you go, and maybe if it helps him (if he freaks out each time than stop doing it) you can call at a set time each night/morning to say good night or good morning. he's old enough to understand when you say mommy will be back after you go to bed a few times. all he needs to hear is the mommy will be back. but your relationship to your husband is just as important as the one with your son, so if you guys can afford to take the vacation go for it! i'd love to take a vacay with just my husband
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 2:18 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• IDK, I always took my son on vacation....at 4 months, 16 months, 28 months.....always. We saw Sea World, and Busch Gardens...at 4 months. The ocean all the other times. He had fun and loved it all.
    Anonymous

• Now is the time to start teaching him that mommy and daddy leave and come back. Start practicing to lead up to the vacation. Have him spend time with the family member who would be caring for him while you're on your trip.
    DH and I don't travel often without the kids but have gone away for long weekends without them and they did just fine.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 2:30 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Tough question, this is more personal. Kids are so much stronger than we give them credit for. If you want to go on vacation then go but if you dont want to be away from then stay this is more of you being attached (very understandable). If you go give him and you time to meet with this relative who will be sitting him. Him seeing you leave and come back little by little will make a longer transition much more easy.
    leovirgo_mom3

Answer by leovirgo_mom3 at 2:31 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Only you can judge this. We never left our daughter for more than one night. We enjoy spending time as a family.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:43 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I, personally, would only leave him with someone he is familiar with. Like for me, right now, I would only leave my daughter with my sister for that long.
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 2:44 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• WHY NOT EVEN STAY AT HOME MOTHERS NEED A BREAK MY SON WAS VERY ATTACHED TO ME AND I WAS AFRAID WHEN HIS GRANDMA TOOK HIM FOR THE WEEKEND BUT MY SON WAS FINE HE CRIED A LITTLE WHILE HE WAS LEAVING BUT ONCE HE WAS GONE HE WAS FINE AND HE HAD FUN THINGS SHOULD NOT CHANGE WHEN YOU COME BACK
    ORTIZ856

Answer by ORTIZ856 at 3:24 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Can this other family member start keeping some before the trip so he can get fimilair with them? I would not think anything about going on vacation with my husband if my daughter was being left with someone fimilair! You need to have that time with your husband. It always does my husband and I a world of good and I think it is good for the baby too!
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't for a week. If he was familiar, possibly. But you said he's not.
    Anonymous