Does it just happen one night?

My son is 5 months old. He still wakes up several times a night. I comfort, change or nurse him and he is quickly back to sleep. My question is will he just one night sleep through the entire night all on his own? I don't want to "train" him so I am just curious if it just happens when he is ready?

J.P

Asked by J.P at 2:23 PM on Apr. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well, kind of...he will sleep longer and longer periods until you realize..."is he still sleeping?" And you will check and think, geez, I just got to sleep all night.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:25 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• my son has slept through the night since he was 4 weeks, he would however go through little spells of waking up just for his pacifier and as soon as he had it he would be asleep again.. He recently went through a phase where he'd wake up screaming and he wouldn't go back to sleep til he was in bed with us. This was becoming and every night thing for about 2 weeks. Then all of a sudden he would start waking up wanting to play after he was in our bed around 2,3,4,5 in the morning. He'd sit straight up and say HI HI HI HI HI HI HI HI HI. Then get up and climb on us. It was finally to the point where I knew it was okay to let him cry it out. My husband and I would hold/cuddle him every night/nap time. So after him doing that one morning I got up. Put him in his crib. And let him cry. And guess what- he fell asleep within 15 minutes, and hasn't woken up since. That was about a month ago. We do it for naps and bed time now.
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 2:28 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• BTW, mine slept all night at 3 months. All on his own, no training.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:30 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I think we miss cuddling more then him. Last night he cried while we were walking in his room cause he knew what it meant but by the time I laid him down, shut his door and sat on the couch he was already done crying and asleep. :) Ahh. its nice.

Now since your child is only 5 months I wouldn't recommend it although pediatricians do.. I would just try doing the binky thing. See if that works. But yeah, your child will wake up less and less until one morning you'll wake up and go "ahhh.. a full nights rest. wow" then rush up to make sure he's still alive :) LOL
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 2:31 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• They are all different. Mine rarely slept more that four hours at a time until 8 months; then she spontaneously started sleeping 6 hours. After that, it was a steady and gradual increase.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:41 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I HAVE A 12 MONTH OLD AND HE STILL WAKES UP MOST OF THE TIME IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT ALL CHIDREN ARE DIFFERENT BECAUSE MY OTHER 2 CHILDREN SLEPT THROUGH THE NIGHT SINCE THEY WERE BORN THEY BOTH HAD A FEEDING AROUND MIDNIGHT AND WOKE FOR A FEEDING BY 6 AM
    ORTIZ856

Answer by ORTIZ856 at 3:06 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• The averages are:
    By 6 months, most will sleep 5 hours or more in a row. Not all. Just most.
    By 9 months, most will sleep 8 hours or more in a row.
    By 12 months, most CAN sleep bedtime to morning. But at that point, what they have been trained to do matters more. If they have come to expect cuddling with mom, rocking in the rocking chair, and milk in the middle of the night, they will scream for it when they wake in the night. Remember, everyone wake up just a little bit many times every night. But we learn to roll over and go back to sleep. So at some point babies have to learn that too. Some learn it on their own. Some have to throw a tantrum first. But we are talking about much older babies. Not 5 month olds.

And just so you know, my daughter slept all night once at 10 months and didn't do it again until 14 months. Like I said - the averages apply to "most"... not "all".
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:11 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Well I don't know if I would use the word "train", but my son has been on a routine since he was 2 months old and sleeps anywhere from 9pm-11pm until 7am-10am. And you should teach him what bedtime means. No lights, no one in the room, just quiet.
    KareemsMami

Answer by KareemsMami at 3:34 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• In my experience they usually drop one feeding/waking at a time, starting with the first one of the night and moving later. You can encourage them by trying not to feed them at the first wake-up (if other forms of comfort work), and soon your baby may not wake up for that one. That's how it worked with my daughters, anyway. My first was sleeping through (but waking up by about 6-6:30am and not wanting to go back to sleep) by about 7 months, and my second who is now 7 months is waking once, anywhere between 4:45 and 6:30 (but she does go back to sleep).
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 3:38 PM on Apr. 29, 2009