my son has a cold...and is now running when he sees me pull out a tissue (its like every five minutes at least) how do I keep him from fighting it and screaming and crying?

He's 13 months.

amy31308

Asked by amy31308 at 2:24 PM on Apr. 29, 2009 in Health

• You do it into the kleenex..then hold one infront of him and say, "you try". He will most definately want to try, cause it sounds fun. He won't do it right at first...believe me, but, it will make it easier. I had to do that when I worked at a daycare. Bad runny noses and screaming kids. LOL. I always did it first and then said "can you do it?" Make it seem like it is the best thing ever...
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:37 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• put a movie on for him or take him for a nice walk.
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 2:26 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Try using a softer tissue. Or a baby wipe. Possibly use a damp wash cloth also. use some vasaline on his nose when your done wiping it.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 2:27 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• You can't...they all fuss over having their nose constantly wiped when it running. I would say keep a bib on him and just swipe his nose with it. You may even try to help him learn to blow his nose instead of wiping it.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:27 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• tell him that if he deosn't blow his nose that the buggars are going to melt his brain...lol. i don't know..really, I just used to hold daughter down. She is 7 , and still runs when i have a tissue, although she can now do it on her own, & she prefer's doing it herself. I just can't help myself, she'll probably be fully grown & I'll still be whiping her nose.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 2:28 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• oh, he's 13 monthes...just noticed. Yeah, holdimg him down worked great for me, we made it a game sometimes. Like "i'm going to get you!!!" type stuff.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 2:30 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• i use puffs plus, they are very soft.. after I wipe his nose I feel the lotion on my fingers... so they are not hard at all.

how do i teach him to blow when I do it?
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 2:33 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I hold my daughter so she can't get away when I wipe her nose, but..you COULD just let it run. Like the doctors say, it bothers you more than it bothers him.
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 2:40 PM on Apr. 29, 2009