My Son Is 3 and still wet's the bed at night, what would be the best way to fix this situation?

My son still wet's the bed at night and sometimes in the middle of the day, but not like at night. Sometimes he wakes at night, but not enough to go to the bathroom. And well me and my fiancee have problems with this situation, well he does, he has a daughter from a previous relationship and well she dosnt really have problems with peeing at night, But My Fiancee doesnt get that all kids are different, and that my son just might not be able to go to the bathroom at night, And i have been trying the nothing to drink and hour or more before going to bed and going pee before bed. but it sill happens, And damien sometimes wet's himself during the day, just like a little, like he cant quite make it to the bathroom

damamc

Asked by damamc at 2:28 PM on Apr. 29, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would let him get a lil bigger his bladder is small right now set an alsrm and wake him up early in the morn and put potty chair in his room.
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 2:30 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• All kids are different. My son, he was completely potty trained at 2 1/2. My daughter is 4 now is still wears a pull up at night and has the occasional accident at school. (usually during nap time). Our pediatrician said this isn't abnormal and it doesn't seem like she has an overactive bladder (you might want to talk to your ped about that). She never wets during the day, its just a little at night. She just doesn't get that urge that makes her get up at night.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 2:31 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I also did what the other poster said, but with my daughter in school , we were waking up several times a night...and she is the time that can't go directly back to sleep and it was wearing her down by the time she gets up for school (6:50 am)
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 2:32 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Well you can try stopping his fluids at dinner and 3 hours before his bed time. Get up with him in the middle of the night and take him potty. No snacks involving liquids and your right all kids are different. He will get there but in the mean time start getting up once or twice a night and taking him. Lay him down on an old towel or a pee sheet so he doesn't ruin the mattress unless its a crib mattress still. So cut out the cereal or give it to him dry, no drinks 3 hours before bed or after dinner which ever, and get up with him for a few weeks at night. Don't use pull ups as it only encourages it and during the day make him go. Take him every 2 hours or if you noticed he hasn't gone for more than 2 hours take him and have him try.
    Anonymous

• Let him wear diapers at night and try again in three months. I do not believe in risking dehydration (whichcan occur very quickly) in a child.
    My daughter wore diapers until she was four; she was reading by then, too.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:45 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Boys are twice as likely as girls to wet.
    Most kids self train by age 5.
    Stopping fluids rarely helps and is actually not recommended for children under 4. Kids need fluids to stay healthy. If you want to keep trying that, do not limit them more than 1 hour before bedtime.
    Here's a good brochure you can give your SO.
    http://www.aap.org/healthychildren/07winter/wakingupdry.pdf
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:59 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• They make Pull-ups for kids as old as 7 for a reason. When his body has matured enough to handle it, it will. Fluid intake is not the issue. Physical maturity is.
    MommyId

Answer by MommyId at 3:04 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I was just going to say the same as above, they make goodnights for kids up to a very large size for a reason. my kids potty trained oppisote. once they stopped peeing in the night. we started using the pot by going first thing in the morning before and after naps and once that was conqured we worked on the rest of the day. My son was much slower then his sister and we didnt even start until he was 3. He will onlly be this age once, try to enjoy this while you can... tel your guy it is normal, why would there be a whole asile at the store if it wasnt common? good luck!!
    Kerinmomof2

Answer by Kerinmomof2 at 4:01 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• My older son wet the bed occasionally (like every couple months) till he turned 5. I took him out of pullups completely at 32 months and just dealt with wet sheets a few times a year. It was really not that big of a deal. Totally normal especially for boys this age and even up to about age 7-8.
    momtofour280

Answer by momtofour280 at 4:40 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Three is not that old....my kids weren't trained until they were at least three. Don't let your fiance get you and your son upset. Buy him pull-ups or those night time pants and let it go for a while. I hope your fiance isn't too harsh about it...that could be contributing to the problem. Bedwetting is the precipitating factor in many child abuse cases....so protect your little boy. He is still very young and his behavior is within the normal range. And even if he has a bed-wetting problem it isn't a discipline issue or a behavior issue. He isn't choosing to misbehave that is for sure! Talk to your doctor if you are concerned, buy the pullups and don't involve the fiance if he can't handle it.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 5:17 PM on Apr. 29, 2009