Muscle or breast issue?

Since my son was born 1/31 I have had a dull pain that comes & goes. The pain occurs in this area: if I feel between my breasts and just go the slightest bit toward my right breast, it is tender to the touch. After I press it there is sort of a lingering light burning sensation. It really only hurts if I press on it like that, but sometimes it will 'flare' on its own.

I don't feel any lumps in my breast or anything out of the ordinary. The breast that's near the pain feels like the other one. Also, I've had bronchitis so I've been coughing very hard for the last 12 days or so (I'm on an antibiotic for that).

Would you think this is a muscle thing or a breast thing? I get on high-alert with anything in that area because my mom, her mom, & her mom all had breast cancer. I do have an OB appt. tomorrow, but was curious what your thoughts might be?

ErinMarie123

Asked by ErinMarie123 at 2:31 PM on Apr. 29, 2009 in Health

• Well, I don't immediately think breast cancer although I can understand your concern. I'm thinking either a strained muscle from the coughing or it could even be a blocked milk duct. I know that sounds crazy but I ended up with a blocked milk duct 8 months after I quit nursing my third child. So, talk to your OB but I'm thinking muscle strain.
    proud2Bmomma

Answer by proud2Bmomma at 2:49 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• You know, a blocked milk duct might be it. I couldn't nurse my son (I produce next to no milk) but a week after he was born and I was still trying to nurse I had a hard lump on my breast that I was able to work out - the doctor said it was almost certainly a plugged duct. This pain is almost in the exact same area. I'll mention that to the OB tomorrow. Thanks!
    ErinMarie123

Answer by ErinMarie123 at 4:42 PM on Apr. 29, 2009