Has anybody had a waterbirth?

I am pregnant with my 3rd baby and would like to try something different this time around. I handled the pain pretty well with my last labor and think i would be able to do it. Has anyone had a waterbirth and what did you think of it? Would you do it again?

jnsdrf

Asked by jnsdrf at 2:36 PM on Apr. 29, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I had two unhindered, uncomplicated vaginal births, and then two waterbirths - I wish to goodness I had done it before, and any future babies I have will be waterbirthed! It was just like someone had turned down the intensity of it all... even though I did still feel the labor pains, they *seemed* less, and the overall feeling of relaxation made words like "serene" and "tranquil" more accurate than "painful." I was more present to those births, was having coherent conversations with my husband, and for my last birth was able to have my three children running in and out and around the room while I was in hard labor with no irritability or tension on my part at all.

It was SO worth any extra effort, and in reality turned out to be simpler than I thought it was going to be -- and it was just mind boggling how different it really turned out to be. Before I had a waterbirth, I thought it couldn't possibly be that much different!
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 2:55 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• As long as you can handle it all the way to the end go for it. I was going to try but I got an epi after 6 hours and then it wore off about an hour later and only 1 leg was numb so they wouldn't let me. Some women love it and others hate it once they get in the tub. They realize that the water does help relax you and it all depends on your pain level. If not you can always get back in the bed and it gives your more freedom to do what you want. Good luck to you
    Anonymous

• i have never, this is my first baby and i'm still pregnant, but this is a really great question, i want to know about others experience with this myself.
    sherlockhlm

Answer by sherlockhlm at 2:49 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I did have an epi with both of my last pregnancies but the last one only lasted an hour and stopped right before i had to start pushing so i felt everything and think i can handle the pain.
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 2:53 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I had a waterbirth with my DD (first and only kid so far) & it was wonderful. I also used a program called Hypnobabies that worked so well. Highly highly recommend it! I didn't intend on a waterbirth but I had back labor & the epidural was looking better & better (wanted to do it naturally) so I decided to get in their birthing tub. The difference was insane. It relaxed me so much I went from not quite 4cm to 6cm in maybe 40 minutes. I was able to focus better and do it without drugs, spent the rest of labor in the tub and DD was born in the water. She came out calm and completely alert. :)

I would absolutely do it again. I hope and pray I can with my next one. My next one will be born in the states and it appears to be a lot harder to find a place to have a waterbirth than it is over here.
    soldierswifey05

Answer by soldierswifey05 at 2:54 PM on Apr. 29, 2009