My son has high performance in the class room but never gets into encore why is this?

My son is 8 years old in the 2nd grade. He has made straight A's since he has started school. When he was in Kindergarten he was on a 2nd grade reading level and unlike other kids he didn't have to sound out words, once you told him the word it would be apart of his vocabulary. He is now on the middle of a 5th grade reading level and again this year he is the only one in his classroom that has been chosen to get tested to be in Encore. I don't know if he will make it or not because every year he has been tested and never has passed the test to be in it. Does anyone know why he seems to not be able to pass the test? (last year he passed one test and missed the other by a couple of points)

Lenakeen2

Asked by Lenakeen2 at 2:44 PM on Apr. 29, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• What is Encore?

Answer by rkoloms at 2:46 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• It is a program for gifted/talented children that helps provide the children to develop problem-solving and productive thinking. You have to have high performance in the classroom to get chosen to take the test.
    Lenakeen2

Answer by Lenakeen2 at 2:51 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• This is why they should not just focus on a few tests. Obviously you're son is very gifted. It frustrates me because my son has dealt with the same thing, it's sad to see the hard work not being rewarded.
    BethK04

Answer by BethK04 at 3:31 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• He may have test anxiety. Those tests are formatted differently than a regular classroom test, and have TONS more questions, which require deeper thought processes. IMO many of those tests assess unfairly. We have an Academic Academy in 4th grade, and 2 students I thought should have gotten in, didn't get accepted.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 1:51 AM on May. 2, 2009