What is a good age to start a baby on cereal

My exhusband and his girlfriend seperated right after there son was born. My question is this. There son is almost six months old and she refuses to feed him cereal or baby food. He eats formula about every two hours because he is hungry that often. I know with my children they started cereal in their bottle at 2-3 months old because they were big kids. I have told him that the baby should be on at least cereal by now and he eats it off the spoon good. But when she finds out he has eaten cereal she gets all defensive. But he saw pictures of her letting him eat a french fry. Am I crazy to think that the baby should be on some sort of food and not french fries? Any suggestions would be helpful to resolve this matter. Thank you for your time.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:47 PM on Apr. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Its not gonna harm the baby when he is chewing on a french fries, as long its not every day of course.
    But that child definately should be on cereal by now. Formula is not gonna feed that boy for long.
    maja0407

Answer by maja0407 at 2:51 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Well the baby should be on cereal, and trying out different baby food, stage one, feed the same food for like 4 or 5 days , and that is just to see how he reacts to it (allergies and stuff) but yes he should be having baby food and cereal at age 6 m....
    You have to think of WHY she dont want to give him cereal, cause WIC gives them cereal starting at 4 months, now they changing it to 6 m........So think about it, she could say Hey dad dont care for him right when he has him....cause he dont feed him right...... You know what i mean, cause i dont see no other reason for not wanting the baby experience food yet
    epy108

Answer by epy108 at 2:54 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• He should at least have had cereal even though they don't HAVE to be on it. But she should at least be doing some sort of Gerber food.
    cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 2:54 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Uh...some doctors advocate waiting as long as possible to start food. Besides, it is for learning and experience, NOT to fill them up. Formula or Breastmilk should be the main and only souce of nutrition until a year. Food is only for practice until they are on whole milk. So, her baby is just fine. And, babies shouldn't have cereal in their bottles anyway.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:54 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• He is ALMOST six months. It's not even advocated to even start until six months.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:56 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• By chance do you know the babys doctors name,if not find out and call and let them know what she is doing and ask them to have the doctor talk to her about feeding him cereal and baby food,,Is she a idiot to feed him french fries,she dont sound like a good mom to me and your ex needs examined too for choosing a idiot to be the mother of his kid. You sound like the only sane person out of all this,dont mean to sound so hateful but it only takes common sence to feed a child the right thing for its age,but like I said I would call the doc and tell them.Good luck and I hope she gets some sence into her real soon for the babys sake!!!!!!!!!!!!! Eating french fries will sure give him clogged arteries and serious health problems a child should not have to go thru later in years.
    Anonymous

• no, you are right (BRADENISMYSON) no cereal in bottle, but YES they need to start experiencing food since 6m,
    epy108

Answer by epy108 at 2:57 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I'm sorry, but I would personally stay out of it! I know you're worried about the baby, but I would say if it's not your child with him, you may cause more drama than it's worth. I'm not a fan of feeding babies that small junk food, but I also am a momma who doesn't want an outsiders' opinion most of the time! (Especially an exwife!)My ex has a child with another woman and his mom would tell me that she didn't feed the baby the way I did my son with him and that she does this and she does that, but bottom line, she is that child's mom and each parent does things different! And, it's not my place to tell them how to raise their child. You could suggest to your ex that he go with her to an appointment if nothing else and raise the issue with the doctor.
    mommystiebler

Answer by mommystiebler at 2:59 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• She said he was almost six months.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:59 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• So let your Husband feed the baby when he has him,what can she say, nothing...the baby is with him, just like when the baby is with her, he cant ay nothing
    epy108

Answer by epy108 at 3:01 PM on Apr. 29, 2009