Question with my 3 year old and learning

My daughter is 3 years old. She is the type of child that loves puzzles, coloring, and doing activites. I started doing sight words with her recently because she was so into learning new things. The thing with her is she will trace the letters with her fingers and she does it exactly how you would write it without being told how. She I continue to show her new things at such a fast pace, because of her interest, or should I slow down?

Lenakeen2

Asked by Lenakeen2 at 2:48 PM on Apr. 29, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I say you should show her as long as she shows interest. As long as you aren't pushing her, it's fine. She seems to like it, so, good work and keep it up.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:51 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• If she is interested, the go with it. Let them lead and go at their speed. Some go faster than others. My dd could read by 4 my ds is just getting interested and will be 5 in August.
    MommyId

Answer by MommyId at 3:03 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Let her learn how she wants, at her own pace.

But I'd consider dropping the sight words and teaching phonics first. Once she knows how to sound words out, bring the odd-ball sight words back. But if she learns that the way to learn to read is to memorize what words look like, she may fight learning to sound words out which is critical for learning to read properly. I've seen studies that have found that kids who learn "sight reading" first fall behind their "phonics first" peers and rarely catch-up.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:04 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I would continue to follow her lead as far as learning, as long as she is interested, keep it up!! this is great because a love of learning will take her far...
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 3:18 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I will have to disagree Kaycee. I do believe that may be the case in some children, but my son who is now 8 learned the same way just not until the summer before kindergarten. He was into it at such a young age and now he is in the 2nd grade with a middle of 5th grade reading level. His teacher in kindergarten said that's just how he learns. He did not have to sound out words after seeing it a couple times he new it. He never feel behind, he has always been the top in his class.
    Lenakeen2

Answer by Lenakeen2 at 3:56 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Go at her pace, but work on phonics. It's much more important that they know how to sound words out for spelling and reading. My mom's generation learned to read by memorizing words and her and all my aunts and uncles were ALL horrible spellers!!

Now, sight words like "is" or "the" or "and"...that's different, but I'd hold off on those yet anyway. My oldest is now 5 and didn't learn phonics earlier..he's now insisting on looking at a word and remembering how it looks. (and he's very good at it, too) But he resists sounding his words out.

My three year old has already learned his phonics and he's sounding words out, actually reading better than my older son who has been in preschool for a year!

No matter what you do, do it at her pace so she doesn't become discouraged or start "hating" to learn...
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:12 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Keep feeding the wonderful brain! You are doing a great job. We labeled everything in our house (the doors had a sign that said door) and played lots of number and word games.
    Start researching schools now; it sounds like your child will probably qualify for a gifted or other academically advanced program (if you live in Chicago and would like to discuss school options, please contact me directly)

Answer by rkoloms at 7:53 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• no, dont hold back... if she can handle it, why stop now.
    by the time my brother was 3 he could alreadi read and write.
    if you notice that it may be getting a lil overwhelming for her, thn ease up...
    shes alreadi ahead of the rest.

Gud Lukk Mama:)
    StarrCooKie

Answer by StarrCooKie at 11:37 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I agree that you should keep on teaching her as long as she is wanting to participate in your activities. Research shows that children learn best through active, hands on activities. She may be ok with flash cards for awhile, but most children will learn quicker and with greater enthusiasm. The most important activity you can do is READ books! As you read ask her questions about the book, talk about the words that rhymn, or look for words that start with the letters in her name. Make her aware of letters and sounds. Dr. Jean has wonderful CD's with songs that introduce awareness of letters and sounds. Also try making letters in wet sand or roll playdoh into long "snakes" then form the dough into letters to spell her name or words. Go online and google,"Developmentally appropriate learning activities for 3 year olds. This should take you to learning activities that are appropriate for her age. Have fun!
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 5:40 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• If she's interested, absolutely pump her full of stuff. If she starts getting tired and saying 'no more' then call it a day. As long as she's having fun go for it! My dd is a 'loves to learn' kind of kid too but she does have her days where she just wants to relax, on the days she's eager to learn I teach her as much as possible.
    mommabear2008

Answer by mommabear2008 at 10:15 PM on May. 1, 2009