Is/can this be depression.

My DD is 5 almost 6 yrs old. She can be playing and be happy and laughing one minute, and the next minute she wants to be alone and by herself and she acts sad and doesnt wanna talk to any one. Can she be depressed, or what? And should I worry.

ETA: She has gone through alot of pain because of her sperm donor. Could this be a reason.

BIMOM21

Asked by BIMOM21 at 3:05 PM on Apr. 29, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• We go through this with my oldest (6 this month) - he's on Adderall for his ADHD and although his dad and I have been seperated since he was just over a year old, he still has to deal with the instability of his dad being in and out of his life (jail, etc). Sometimes he cries for no apparent reason, or for little things (not getting to hold the walkie-talkie at school during dismissal, not getting to wear a particular pair of jeans or being told that he cannot wear knee-high socks w/ his sandals and shorts).
    I just try to keep his life as routine as possible, and make sure that whatever changes there are, are always positive. (ie: instead of going straight home, maybe we'll go to the park... or hey, daddy changed his mind last minute and is not coming to pick you up, so let's go to Monkey Joes or some place fun!) But yes, definitely take her to see mental health... maybe they can give you some ideas on keeping her happy.
    MunchiesMom324

Answer by MunchiesMom324 at 11:56 AM on May. 2, 2009

• Yes it could. This kind of instability in a child's life is very detrimental to their mental health. At the very least I would get her evaluated and possibly into some counseling. While she is young they have a good chance of really making a difference. Good luck and I am so sorry you are going through this...
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 3:07 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Try a Sunday School or a social group for her! A little Manuka honey may help keep her moods up too. I go to a Baptist church. Focus her on Jesus if her dad is unimvolved especially,as he is a father to the fatherless!
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 3:09 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Yes, that could be a reason, children pick up on things and if a divorce or separation affects grown up adults, it has a bigger impact on children psych. I suggest you take her to some psychology pediatrician to be evaluated, more then depression I think it sounds as allocating blame and sadness in the wrong places. Children from divorced or separated parents usually blame themselves for teh split. Also there could be some hormonal imbalance. Check into it. Try to give her security and reasurance that mom will be there for her.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 3:10 PM on Apr. 29, 2009