Which would be smarter? Getting my LPN first then RN or just work towards my RN?

LPN i'll be done in a year. It will be at least 4 years til I'm done with my RN. Ugh. I just don't know what to doooo ;( Hubby told me he would be perfectly happy if I just stay with what I am doing (STNA) but i just don't know

amy31308

Asked by amy31308 at 3:07 PM on Apr. 29, 2009 in Money & Work

• Well, I would look at your area and see if there are a lot of LPN jobs available to make it worth while in going. Lots of places are phasing them out. So, you might just want to go the RN route first, anyways. You got lots of time. Hopefully by the time your done the job market will turn around.

It better in 4 years :)
    JennRN09

Answer by JennRN09 at 3:11 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• RN.

While many people get their LPN and successfully obtain their RN later, I think a lot of people DO find that once they start working (especially with shift work), it is harder to get back to school to get their RN (I have an LPN friend that's been working on her RN for like 5 years now). Some never end up going back. I think if you have a goal, you should just go for it until you get there.

At least in my state, there is a never ending attempt to make an RN the minimum requirement to hold the title of "nurse" as well as an attempt to make a Bachelor's in nursing the minimum education in order to take the boards to take the RN. In my profession, Social Work, they've already passed laws to make those changes stripping a lot of people of the jobs and job titles they've held for years, even decades. You're ALWAYS safer getting your RN and of course getting your BS degree in the health field.

Good luck!
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 3:13 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Would you be happy if you, for whatever reason, did not continue on to become an RN? Would you be satisfied with being an LPN? If you would be (and I'm not knocking it, don't get me wrong), then go for the LPN and then RN. But if you have your heart set on RN, I would just go the distance right away. You never know what curve balls are coming.
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 4:01 PM on Apr. 29, 2009