Advice on getting a 10 month old to sleep thru the night.

I have a 10 month old who is still nursing. Since she was born she has gotten up 1-2 times a night to eat. She has been on solid foods since she was about 7 months old. She still gets up at least twice a night to eat. She eats 3 meals a day and nurses several times a day. We have a regular bedtime routine, after a bath and nursing or a bottle, I put her to bed asleep between 9-9:30 every night. I have tried giving her cereal before bed, nothing seems to help her sleep thru the night. Any suggestions?

BDP2sMommy

Asked by BDP2sMommy at 3:08 PM on Apr. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Try sticking with the bottle for a bedtime routine. add some rice/cereal to the bottle to keep baby fuller longer. my daughter is almost 3 months old and sleeps from 9pm till 4-5 am which at that time i pull her into bed with me and she goes back to sleep till 8-10am. how much does she sleep during the day? either limit the naps to 2 a day, or shorten them. wake her up to change her diaper, and make silly faces at her till shes fully awake.

Always
    ~Syl~
    Fae-Lee

F43L34

Answer by F43L34 at 3:22 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I wouldn't suggest adding the cereal to the bottle if she already eats solids. Try to lessen the amount you feed her during the night. Like try to put her back to bed instead of feeding her right away. Give her a paci if she uses it, cuddle her or put some music on.
    KareemsMami

Answer by KareemsMami at 3:24 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• 1. Put her to bed earlier-no later than 8pm.
    2. Give her a meal of solids a few hours before putting her to bed.
    3. Continue with the bottle/nursing before bed...so her tummy will be full
    4. Don't rush in the room everytime she makes a whimper...give her a minute or two to re-settle herself...if she is obviously fully awake, THEN check on her...keeping the lights out, and not picking her up, re-insert her paci, pat her back, and leave the room.
    5. Make sure the room has a comfortable temperature...play soothing music too

I found that when I stop rushing into the room everytime my daughter made the slightest noise, she started sleeping much better.

Before I get the "Anti CIO" crowd bashing me, I'm not a fan of the CIO method either, and have never used it. I'm saying to wait a minute or two to see if the baby will fall asleep again on her own.

I hope I helped!
    Anonymous

• No answer, but you are not alone! My son woke up 4 times a night to eat until he was at least one, and I was working full time with no help from the Dad who slept through everything. (What a jerk) However, just continue to be patient because they grow up and then are too big to hold and rock every night and I"m telling you that you'll miss it. Hang in there!!
    lizrider

Answer by lizrider at 3:51 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• My son is almost 10 months, and we started the Ferber CIO method this month. It has worked wonders. He puts himself to sleep almost immediately now, and sleeps about 10 hours through the night without waking up. It's really hard, but it works out in the end, and your baby doesn't hold it against you.
    caiti

Answer by caiti at 4:00 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• When you say "put her to bed asleep," are you saying that you rock or nurse her to sleep? We did that with my son most nights, and he kept waking up in the middle of the night and wouldn't go back to sleep without nursing again. I got tired of it around 10 months old, and our pediatrician suggested the problem was that he would wake up in the middle of the night and not know how to put himself back asleep. The solution, he said, was to put our son in his crib awake and let him learn to put himself to sleep. I didn't like that idea, but finally got fed up with middle-of-the-night feedings. I first tried putting my son down awake and rubbing his back to try to help him fall asleep. That didn't work, we had to let him cry it out. Sure enough, once he learned to put himself to sleep (it took about a week), no more middle of the night feedings. A little rough for that week, but he's been a great sleeper ever since (he's 5 now).
    mem33

Answer by mem33 at 4:05 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• My daughter is also 10 months. I have never had the problem your having but if she gets up at the same time every night, then it is habit, not hunger and you have to break that. Like someone else said, try a paci or patting on back. I don't practice cry it out, but do give her a moment to determine what she is gonna do meaning I don't rush in. For an example, this morning, and practically most mornings, she wakes up talking, now I could rush in and go get her, or give her time to herself to either fall back to sleep or play in her crib. They can/will learn to settle themselves. From what you are saying, she is eating enough during the day, but a definite nurse to sleep will help her alot, or at least nurse until sleepy and then lay her down. you could be dealing with a few things...like my daughter stands in her crib now, so that can become something that will stop them from putting themselves back to sleep on their own
    blackwellqk

Answer by blackwellqk at 4:35 PM on Apr. 29, 2009