how to get my 16 month old off the bottle?

GutierrezMommy

Asked by GutierrezMommy at 3:11 PM on Apr. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I GOT MY DAUGHTER OFF THE BOTTLE BY LETTING A LITTLE MILK SPOIL IN THE BOTTLE THEN I TOLD HER THAT IT WAS NASTY AND DIRTY AND IT SMELL BAD AND SHE SHOULD THROW IT IN THE TRASH AND SHE DID AND NEVER ASKED FOR IT AGAIN. MY SON JUST STARTED DRINKING OUT OF SPILL PROOF CUPS AND THATS WHERE HE HAS HIS MILK BEFORE BED EVERY NIGHT
    ORTIZ856

Answer by ORTIZ856 at 3:21 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• With the first four children I let them throw the bottle in the trash on their own. When they asked for it I reminded them that they threw it away. It only took two days for them to move on.

Berklie (the 5th) is a tad harder. She still has her bottle and shows no signs of letting go. lol She refuses any sippy cups, standard cups or cups with straws.
    dawnjohnson5

Answer by dawnjohnson5 at 3:26 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• That's a tough one~ I'd try cold turkey. My 12 month olds went to bed one night without having their bottle first, I gave them their sippys with milk instead, and my DD cried but my DS fell right to sleep. They never had them again!
    jennagale76

Answer by jennagale76 at 4:58 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• If I were you, I would let the kid have the bottle. My son had his till HE was ready to give it up. Bottles, especially if they are filled with milk, are a comfort for babies and toddlers. So I wasn't going to take a comfort from him. He took juice and water out of a sippy but wanted his milk in a bottle. He gave his bottle up in December; he was 2.5 years old exactly. His teeth are perfect too. I had my bottle till I was 4 and my teeth are fine. And the AAP even says...

"Many mothers are bottle-feeding their children beyond age 2, even though pediatricians often recommend the bottle be given up by 12 to 18 months, according to a California study of 191 healthy full-term infants.

Researchers found 42 percent of 2- to 3-year-olds were fed about three bottles a day, and 16 percent of 3- to 4-year-olds were given an average of 2.1 bottles a day."
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 5:41 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Start giving him water in a sippy cup. Tell him that sippy cups are for water and big boys and bottles are for milk and for babies. There is no need to give him milk; there are much better (and safer and healthier) sources of calcium : http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/strong_bones.html

Answer by rkoloms at 7:44 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I wouldn't force it, if it's important to him. But, if he seems open, I'd change one feeding a day to a sippy cup he likes - start with daytime feeds and change one a week, leaving the nighttime feed for last. This is what we did with our daughter and it went well. The first night we changed the pre-bed feed she got upset, but the next night she was fine. We also instituted a new ritual to replace the bottle-cuddle, we call it "Milk and books" and she sits on our lap and we read while she drinks her milk. Now she requests "Milk and books!" all the time. if he won't get off the bottle, just remember to brush his teeth after the last bottle of the night.

good luck,
    kate
    therope

Answer by therope at 7:03 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Simply take it away, and just keep telling him they are all gone. Don't make it a big deal it's just a fact of life there are no more bottles.
    trying2survive

Answer by trying2survive at 7:43 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I just took it way when mine were 12months old. Walmart had sippy cups with a "nipple" like spout and that was a great transition. Check out walmart and see if they still have them. they were cheap, like $1. a cup.
    momof2maygirls

Answer by momof2maygirls at 7:44 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• we went cold-turkey as well, but I did get the transitional sippy cups with the soft spouts.
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 7:50 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• take it away. And only give sippy cups. At 11 months I threw all but one bottle away and they got water in that. Only cups were offered.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 8:01 AM on Apr. 30, 2009