Is my son underweight?

My son was born four weeks early and weighed 5 pounds, 10 ounces, and was 20 inches at birth. His two-year mark is coming up and he weighs around 26 pounds and is about 36 inches tall.

He looks very thin to me. When he raises his arms, his ribs show. From the side, he looks much smaller than my niece who is a month younger than him. He eats fine (although he did go through a very picky period) but he doesn't seem to like milk very much unless we add flavoring. The pediatrician doesn't seem to think there is anything wrong because he is still active, but it worries me.

His father and I are not thin people (although both of our dad's were) and I feel as though he should be gaining more weight.

Is there something wrong?

Empress_Emily

Asked by Empress_Emily at 3:20 PM on Apr. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• According to the baby growth calculator at babycenter.com your son is Length = between percentile 75 and 90 and Weight = between percentile 10 and 25. He could probably use a little extra weight but it really seems like he is actually just tall. My daughter weighs about the same but she is four inches shorter. If you want to bulk him up a little try and add extra protein and whole milk to his diet. You can also add pedia-sure or something like that.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 3:32 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• try giving him honey to boost him up.look up Manuka
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 3:21 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• IDK, my son was on time and that size...I was tinier at that age and I was 8lbs 14oz, 23in at birth. My son is 77lbs at 13 now. Maybe he is just thin.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:22 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Manuka honey can be sneaked into iced tea i luv tea coolers from swiss farms store. Clover honey has some manuka in it all honey has some.
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 3:22 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• he should be fine. My son is about the same size, a little bigger. Just leave him alone.
    Anonymous

• You just need to prevent him from getting sick and any thinner! pediasure for picky eaters and plenty of carrot sticks! the Hibernaion Diet
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 3:24 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• NO HONEY FOR TODDLERS PEOPLE
    epy108

Answer by epy108 at 3:24 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Honey is not the answer. I do not know why 2mothers keeps pushing it in every post.
    Anyway...
    He sounds fine to me. All three of my boys are tall and slim, which is the best body type according to my ped. If your ped isn't worried then you shouldn't be either. Maybe he will be slim like his grandpas.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 3:24 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• He's a little small but I wouldn't be too concerned, my twin nephews weigh 28lbs and 29 1/2. Ask your doctor on the next visit and see if he suggests anything to help him put on a little more, if you are still worried.
    Tarabella

Answer by Tarabella at 3:25 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• try that chicken shake n bake stuff for picky eater. My son loves that.
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 3:25 PM on Apr. 29, 2009