can we talk about respect?

I just wanted to say that if we could all just learn to speak to each other respectfully and kindly, the world would be so much better! Christians, muslims, athiest, J Whitness, and everything inbetween... there is no point in arguing or fighting with each other over what we believe in. It does no one any good at all. Can we not state our opinions in a respectful way? And respect everyone elses opinions? I don't think its too much to ask.... =]

mrsbvader

Asked by mrsbvader at 3:32 PM on Apr. 29, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I agree . . . Has there been drama that I missed today?
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 3:36 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I don't think it's too much to ask, either. But the people who disrespect eachother under the guise of religion WILL think it's too much to ask. Which is sad.
    MommyDumDum

Answer by MommyDumDum at 3:37 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Mommydumdum... not every "religious" person is that way and your comment actually kind of helps to prove my point. (no offense). All the judgemental statements need to stop... from EVERY angle.
    mrsbvader

Answer by mrsbvader at 3:40 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Not when everyone wants validation of their belifes or lack there of. Everyone wants to be right and to be told you are not just makes people defensive. There is no way to discuss religious beliefs without someone getting hurt or angry, that's why it's a no-no topic in social situations.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 4:00 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• But there is way to talk to people with respect... I think that people can state their opinions on their beliefs WITHOUT saying "I'm right and you're wrong"... I don't see why more people can't do that... thats all I'm saying lol.
    mrsbvader

Answer by mrsbvader at 4:05 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Mrsbrveder, I understand your point. I agree with it. However you have to understand peoples hearts. Not all have the heart or the desire to respect . There will always be conflict everywhere we go. I try my best to be respectful and honorable to those that disagree but not everyone has the skills yet to do that and some do not want those skills! Sad but that is reality. Not kingdom reality but a very earthly reality.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 4:06 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Of course we can talk about it, but the whole give and take of it I don't think is possible on the boards. Yes, it would be nice to be able to state an opinion without getting cut /pasted and told I am going to hell. There are extremists on all sides of the board though. It would be ok if this were a debate forum, but it's not. Answers should be respected by everyone whether or not you agree with it. If you want to debate it do it with a personal message or go into a chat room. That way the person seeking an answer gets one without having to read all the other opinions as to why so and so is wrong. But for some reason that doesn't seem possible either. That's life and reality.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 4:50 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Yes, I agree. I was thinking about this last night. It's really a shame that we can't just bounce ideas off of each other without someone getting all "cranky" about the differences. It sure would be nice if everyone could be more civil in our discussions. I enjoy this section of the Q&A because I love to learn and share but I don't appreciate the drama much at all.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 5:35 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• this would work a lot better if we could just answer the question without knockihng down other people who answer as well.
    Ilovemy5joys

Answer by Ilovemy5joys at 5:36 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• sure would be nice but.....unfortunately not everyone can be civil......even when it isnt worth the drama
    mstropics

Answer by mstropics at 5:43 PM on Apr. 29, 2009