i am 18 weeks pregnant with a healthy baby boy but our sonogram yesterday showed he has club foot does anyone else have children who have or had this condition? if so was it fixed? and how?

1mama2B

Asked by 1mama2B at 3:36 PM on Apr. 29, 2009 in General Parenting

• I had a cleft foot 2! special casts as a baby then special shoes! I was prob too big for my mom,because no other probs but a heart murmer.
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 3:38 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• You cannot tell I had this prob now, but my ankle ocassionally does turn in on me and I could fall easier in heals or pregnant.
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 3:39 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• my older brother had this.. he and an emergency surgery.. and then put in casts later. His feet were flipped inside out upside down if that makes sense. He still has very skinny legs and his ankles buldge out alot but you really can't tell to much he had surgery. He couldn't play any sports besides wrestling because they would start to fracture.
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 3:42 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• My husband has a club foot. He had 3 surgeries when he was younger. Now his club foot is a smaller shoe size than his other one, however, it's not turned in or anything. It's just a bit smaller. He's able to walk, run, rollerblade, just about anything. It does bother him if he's on his feet too much.
    Anonymous

• My grandaughter is two and her right foot was turned in at birth. We have taken her to a pediatric ortho Dr and have been able to use excercises on her foot to get it to turn in. They thought it could possibly interfere with her walking, but it didn't. She walked at about 11 months old and it wasn't long and she was running everywhere! She is very active, loves dancing, hopping, and jumping also.

The biggest problem is finding shoes that fit alright and keeping them on her bad foot. She wears sneakers, certain types of sandals, and certain types of dress shoes. She really loves shoes and gets upset when a shoe she likes doesn't stay on her bad foot.
    tazcat

Answer by tazcat at 4:11 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Here are some support groups I found:
    http://www.cafemom.com/group/1522/
    http://www.cafemom.com/group/37987/
    http://community.babycenter.com/groups/a52555/clubfoot_support

While it is hard to learn that your beautiful baby isn't "perfect" (mine had a heart problem) - you should try to focus on everything else... dreams of that first smile, first laugh, first word, those beautiful eyes, tiny hands, soft hair. You will be grieving the loss of your "perfect" dream for a while (and yes, it is grief) but remember he will be a wonderful baby boy, will run and play with the best of them, and will make you proud as he grows up.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:17 PM on Apr. 29, 2009