MY 2 1/2 YEAR OLD DOESN'T WANT TO USE THE POTTY

IM TRYING TO TEACH MY SON TO USE THE POTTY HE KNOWS WHAT U DO IN THE POTTY HE HAS DONE IT SOMETIMES WHEN I PUT UNDERWEAR ON HIM AND TAKE HIM HE USES THE POTTY BUT SOMETIMES HE TAKES HIS DIAPER OFF AND GOES ON THE FLOOR HE WILL BE 3 IN A FEW MORE MONTHS AND I REALLY THINK IS TIME I JUST DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO. WHEN I PUT UNDERWEAR ON IF I DONT TAKE HIM TO THE POTTY HE WILL DO IT ON HIMSELF

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:51 PM on Apr. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Take him at least every 2 hours. Do not wait for him to go on his own. Do not ask if he has to go. Do not wait for him to tell you he needs to go. Simply tell him "It is time to go" and take him.
    If he pees, take him again in 2 hours.
    If he doesn't pee, take him again every half hour until he does pee.

Keep track for him. He will not want to stop playing to go to the boring bathroom so do not expect him to tell you or to answer "Yes" if you ask. Being willing to stop playing to do something boring requires a lot of mental maturity and many kids don't have it until 4. Keep track for him and keep telling him when it is time to go.

You can use a timer if you don't want to be the "bad guy"... when the timer goes off, he MUST try.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:59 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• How about waiting for a couple of more months? I pushed my first ds when he wasn't ready It was very difficult time for us. He peed his pants until he was five. Then with our second ds I let him decide when he was ready. He is almost three and he is ready, he tells us when he wants to go potty and getting him trained has been very easy.

Our ped said that most boys potty train at 31/2. I would give him more time.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 4:06 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• My daughter was not potty trained until four. She started reading then, too.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:39 PM on Apr. 29, 2009