• In the Spotlight:

Can breast milk curdle?

My mother-in-law thawed my breastmilk and noticed "crystals" in it and thought it had curdled. I thought it couldn't curdle. ???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:20 PM on Apr. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• A long as it's not spoiled it won't be curdled. The fat content separates form the water.. just tell her to shake it up for a minute or so...
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 4:21 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I agree with Emily. The fat separates out but it is fine just tell her..."shake shake shake...shake shake shake...shake your booty...shake your booty...or Bottle as the case may be. wink ;)
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 4:23 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• no shake shake shake, you swirl BM shaking kills the live DNA in it...it breaks it down...swirl BM no shaking its not formula

It could be a high lipase issue...does it smell like soap or taste like that...
    heres info
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/lipase-expressedmilk.html
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 5:59 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• its totally normal for breastmilk to separate. we just aren't used to it because all our cows milk has been homogenized so it doesnt separate. cows milk from a bottle (rather than from the cow) is the only milk most of us see, so its totally understandable that we get a little surprised at Bmilk separating.
    katiemum

Answer by katiemum at 8:28 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I find this info (and pictures) really helpful! What Does Breastmilk Look Like

And I agree with tabi cat1023  SWIRL, don't shake!

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 8:57 PM on Apr. 29, 2009