Any suggestios as to how I can get my daughter to take a scheduled nap every day ?

I can't get my daughter to take a decent nap. She usually only sleeps for about 45 minutes or so. I would like for her to take one good solid nap a day, but she ends up taking 2 or 3 tiny ones. It's a little tedious. I make sure she has a clean diaper and that it hasn't been too long since her last bottle. I lay her down and shut the door. I even put the dog outside and turn off the TV ao there isn't too much noise. No matter what I do she sleeps for about 45 minutes and wakes up. I try to leave her in her crib when she wakes up and hope she will put herself back to sleep, but it rarely happens. After a half an hour of her working herself up, I end up just going in and getting her. Am I being unrealistic? Should I just deal with the 3 small naps a day?

Sophia_L

Asked by Sophia_L at 4:31 PM on Apr. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter is 10 months old, and she naps for no more than an hour at a time...sometimes just 45 minutes. I would love for HER to sleep for 2-3 hours, but I have to remind myself that her naps are just that: HERS. Her body knows how much rest it needs.

A 45-minute nap three times per day sounds pretty good to me!! At least she sleeps. Some babies don't want to nap at all.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 7:59 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• my baby takes 3 naps too and my little boy did that until he was about 16 months.eventually she will start taking longer naps but as far as i know there is not alot you can do to make it one long nap, just have to wait til she ready.sorry i can't be more help.
    kb24

Answer by kb24 at 4:41 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• It looks like she's just 6 months old? She should be taking 2-3 (maybe some days 3, some days 2) per day. Consolidating daytime sleep is a developmental thing, and it's very common for naps at 6 months old to be fairly short. (My first took three 30 minute naps a day no matter what I tried, and believe me, I tried EVERYTHING). As they mature they learn how to stay asleep longer (or how not to become fully roused in their partial awakenings). Sorry, but you will have to deal with at least 2 for the time being. My first was on one nap by 12 months, though, so some babies do it sooner than others. It makes scheduling things harder, but you've gotta respect it... they need their sleep!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 4:49 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• It's probably just her way. You can't force 'em to sleep.
    Anonymous