Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Terminating Parental Rights?

Does anyone know anything about getting parental rights terminated? I need to look into for my son with his father. What proof do you have to have or anything like that. He has never paid child support he keeps running so the state cannot find him to take him to court to do it, he has seen him possibly on 3 different occasions and the list goes on and on. He was and I'm about 95% sure still is on drugs. He heavily drinks. And I really just do not want ties to him. We had a paternity test done in early 2007 for the child support.

I just want him and his threats out of our lives. If you need any more info to help me just message me and I will explain everything.

And please if you have nothing nice to say don't bring it here. I was a stupid teenager got drunk at a party and nice months later have my wonderful son. I just need to protect him from his father.

Answer Question

Asked by momma2zac2006 at 5:10 PM on Apr. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

Level 2 (5 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • You need to hire a lawyer... They're extremly expensive but it might be worth it in the long run. They'll know every step. If this guy runs from the cops, my guess is he won't show up for court so it might not be too hard of a battle!!!

    Answer by Jillybeans24 at 5:15 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

  • It can vary from state to state so I agree with Jillybeans24, get a lawyer.

    Answer by two_princesses at 5:57 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

  • You definitely need to talk to a lawyer. In some states, like mine, the only way is if there is someone willing to adopt the child. You need a lawyer to tell you exactly what the law is in your state and how, if you do meet the requirements in your situation, to prove it. Good luck!

    Answer by tropicalmama at 6:04 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

  • I had a friend who went threw this.. she had a an attorney and after three times of the guy not showing up.. the state terminated his rights... That is ohio though.. I don't know about other states...But if you quailify there are low income attorneys that take cases like this..

    Answer by mommy2bryson at 8:01 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

  • i don't know how your living but there are place to go. in most state the man has to pay child support to visit the child . and if he is giving you trouble get a order for you that he can't come around . i don't think you can take his Terminating Parental Rights unless there a good reason
    but if he's hurt you like a police being called . or though children sevice showing he's unfit it can't be cause you said so. so the lady's are right you need a law . but you have to show him why and with out it in writing if it's only has you feel you can'tdo it sorry . just trying to help.i know it hard i hve to 2 son and i was a one parent home i do under stand god bless you and your son good luck

    Answer by GRANDMALINDAS at 8:07 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

  • Well I am pretty sure the father has to sign off his rights and to do that you have to take him to court. My friends DH signed his off. And I would say to get a lawyer


    Answer by Anonymous at 10:55 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.